NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by replaytv5000 »

replaytv5000 wrote:
lschroeder wrote:
zenofex wrote:I just wanted to give anyone a heads up that there is a rumor that Sony will be patching this tomorrow (Monday).

http://blog.gtvhacker.com/2012/rumor-ne ... v-exploit/

Thanks,
Zenofex
Do you think this already has happened? Is there a way I can check to see if sony did this update on my 40 in GTV? I have tried holding the power on/off on the remote for 3 seconds when plugging it in. It always makes it to the status bar at the bottom with the apps.

Thanks,
Larry
I literally laughed out loud... thanks for that.
I just read the rest of your post... were you serious? I would check the batteries in your remote....
sst45jeff
Android 1.0

Post by sst45jeff »

lschroeder wrote:
zenofex wrote:I just wanted to give anyone a heads up that there is a rumor that Sony will be patching this tomorrow (Monday).

Thanks,
Zenofex
Do you think this already has happened? Is there a way I can check to see if sony did this update on my 40 in GTV? I have tried holding the power on/off on the remote for 3 seconds when plugging it in. It always makes it to the status bar at the bottom with the apps.

Thanks,
Larry
Try using the button on the TV instead of the remote.
lschroeder
Android 1.0

Post by lschroeder »

sst45jeff wrote:
lschroeder wrote:

Thanks,
Zenofex

Thanks,
Larry
Try using the button on the TV instead of the remote.
That was it. Thanks. I did not realize that their was a power button on the lower right of the set.

My other question was would Win32DiskImager.exe work for transferring the images. The answer is yes it works great and is easier than dd commands. I got the idea from its use with the nook color running off of sd cards. Go to the orginal nook color xda forums for explanation in its use for running off of micro SDHC cards. It works exactly the same for flash drives and GTV images.
sst45jeff
Android 1.0

Post by sst45jeff »

[/quote]

Try using the button on the TV instead of the remote.[/quote]

That was it. Thanks. I did not realize that their was a power button on the lower right of the set.

My other question was would Win32DiskImager.exe work for transferring the images. The answer is yes it works great and is easier than dd commands. I got the idea from its use with the nook color running off of sd cards. Go to the orginal nook color xda forums for explanation in its use for running off of micro SDHC cards. It works exactly the same for flash drives and GTV images.[/quote]

Do you have a link or a thread title to search for the Win32DiskImager.exe instructions.
I am getting a read error when I try to instal the first image & I have tried 3 different USB sticks so there is still something wrong with the way I am writing the images to the USB stick I think.
denix
Android 1.0

Post by denix »

anuraj1 wrote:
Catrane wrote:
denix wrote:There is this "Sky Pirates" which is labeled Amazon Studios Test Movie... :) You can stream it for free and you can buy it for free. Here's the URL - http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Pirates-Amazo ... B0072N937Y

Another thing to check - what device are you using? Is it a Blu-ray or TV? I'm most interested in 40" TV, as that's what I have :)
Sky Pirates doesn't show up in a Magnifying Glass search, so it couldn't be used as a test case. I tried a Mag Glass search for "Love and Other Disasters" (don't judge. It was just near the top of the list when I looked for free movies :-) ). Clicked "Rent" in Mag Glass results, selected Amazon, was taken to the amazon.com page, clicked "watch free" or whatever the button is, and it started playing.

I'd suggest investigating your situation by attempting the same steps in parallel on a conventional computer and GTV, verify that you are signed-in on amazon.com on both, and note if there are any differences.

Good luck.
- Catrane
I'll give it a shot when I get home. One more question, what is your useragent set to in the browser?
@anuraj1:

Any updates? Have you tried the above suggestion? Any luck getting Amazon working?
lschroeder
Android 1.0

Post by lschroeder »

sst45jeff wrote:
Do you have a link or a thread title to search for the Win32DiskImager.exe instructions.
I am getting a read error when I try to instal the first image & I have tried 3 different USB sticks so there is still something wrong with the way I am writing the images to the USB stick I think.
Here are the instructions for using Win32DiskImager.exe for our use.

Download Win32DiskImager and then extract the ZIP file.
Run Win32DiskImage.exe by clicking on it in the folder where it was extracted to.

From the Win32DiskImage screen click the folder icon to select the USB1.img file that you downloaded.
Next click the Device drop-down and select the drive letter where the Flash Drive is mounted.
Click the Write button. The software will erase the Flash Drive and replace its contents with the USB1.img. Once it has completed, you can click Exit.

Remove the Flash Drive from your computer. The Flash Drive is now a format that windows cannot read.
Repeat process for USB2.img, USB3.img, and USB4.img.

I used version win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.2-r23-win32 on a windows 7 64 bit machine. I had this program from last year because of nook color use. Newer win 32 version should be ok. I renamed first image as USB1.img but assume that you could load the proper .img for USB1 without it being renamed.
sst45jeff
Android 1.0

Post by sst45jeff »

lschroeder wrote:
sst45jeff wrote:
Here are the instructions for using Win32DiskImager.exe for our use.

Download Win32DiskImager and then extract the ZIP file.
Run Win32DiskImage.exe by clicking on it in the folder where it was extracted to.

From the Win32DiskImage screen click the folder icon to select the USB1.img file that you downloaded.
Next click the Device drop-down and select the drive letter where the Flash Drive is mounted.
Click the Write button. The software will erase the Flash Drive and replace its contents with the USB1.img. Once it has completed, you can click Exit.

Remove the Flash Drive from your computer. The Flash Drive is now a format that windows cannot read.
Repeat process for USB2.img, USB3.img, and USB4.img.

I used version win32diskimager-RELEASE-0.2-r23-win32 on a windows 7 64 bit machine. I had this program from last year because of nook color use. Newer win 32 version should be ok. I renamed first image as USB1.img but assume that you could load the proper .img for USB1 without it being renamed.
Found it & it was very intuitive as opposed to doing the DOS write command of the images. Way faster & worked great for me.
Used version .1
Just do a search for it. This is a free program.

After writing your images to the drives just follow the guide for the downgrade & rebooter process.
The whole thing takes about 10 min.

Those rooting there Google TVs. (Sony 46" TV) the TV reacts a little different than the guide says but just follow the process per the guide. It is basically the same & it will complete.

IE: step 8 in the guide I did not get the error when done, it went back to the boot/recovery menu. I got the error after unplugging & trying to boot into the recovery screen. Unplugged again & than got the GTVHacker Splash screen.

WiFi would not hook up & it kept searching for network a long time (10 min.).
I turned of the TV & back on than went through the setup of the TV again & WiFi hooked up in a normal amount of time.

Remember to change your user agent to access Hulu CBS etc.

For the life of me I do not understand why these companies think they need to block the Google TVs, yet using any another device is okay to access there website for their free content.

Its like a bunch of kids on the playground who have decided they don't like the kid with desserts because he has figured out a way to offer all of their free desserts to everybody who wants a taste, and they are not the only one offering their desserts anymore.
anuraj1
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by anuraj1 »

denix wrote:
anuraj1 wrote: I'll give it a shot when I get home. One more question, what is your useragent set to in the browser?
@anuraj1:

Any updates? Have you tried the above suggestion? Any luck getting Amazon working?
Ahhh, this is very interesting. I had the user agent in Chrome set to Mozilla/5.0 and Amazon wouldn't play. I took Catrane's advice and changed the user agent to EXACTLY what is on my laptop and it works great now! Here's the site I used to figure out my laptop's user agent:

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

Thanks catrane!

EDIT: I had to turn off "Love and Other Disasters after 4 minutes and 37 seconds. Ouch. Brain pain. haha
Bob
Android 1.0

Post by Bob »

Updated: I got it!! :mrgreen:

Going through channel search now, can't wait to try it out. For those who may be having the same problem...I was holding the "0" key down too long, the key repeated and would kick me out.

I'm getting an error when it's trying to read the first USB stick and can only exit. I've tried several different thumb drives, used DD.exe and also tried Win32DiskImager.exe . The process of burning the image files is simple and no problems there at all, but the TV won't read the drives.

Sony NSX-40GT1

I searched the forum and saw some similar comments but no replies to the problem, except to try another brand of thumb drive. Can someone tell me what brand and size of thumb drive does work in this application?
RawisTheGameHhH
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by RawisTheGameHhH »

can anyone confirm that after the Sony update; can you still root it???