NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
colinphoto
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by colinphoto »

colinphoto wrote:I tried this tonight on the bluRay player and have run into a snag. Everything was cool until step 9. Now I can't get back into recovery mode to insert USB4. I seem to be stuck on the GTV Hacker Splash screen which stays on for about 5 minutes then reboots the machine and comes up again. Holding down power key is not working to enter recovery mode. What did I miss?
Does anyone have an alternate way to get into recovery mode? I've tried everything that I can think of. #SOS
anuraj1
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by anuraj1 »

colinphoto wrote:
colinphoto wrote:I tried this tonight on the bluRay player and have run into a snag. Everything was cool until step 9. Now I can't get back into recovery mode to insert USB4. I seem to be stuck on the GTV Hacker Splash screen which stays on for about 5 minutes then reboots the machine and comes up again. Holding down power key is not working to enter recovery mode. What did I miss?
Does anyone have an alternate way to get into recovery mode? I've tried everything that I can think of. #SOS
I am at work so I can't test this, but try connecting by ADB (i put some quick instructions in a post above) and typing:

reboot recovery
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

colinphoto wrote:
Well don't take the silence to mean that we're avoiding you. My first reaction was a puckered a-hole, not to be alarmist. No one wants to hear the dreaded "b" word in any android forum.

Lets try to stay positive tho... in dealing with ReplayTVs back in the day and they wouldn't boot or even power on, we would disconnect all input & output cables & power. Let it sit overnight and try again the next day with only the bare minimum needed to run the thing. These are two different animals, but still electronics and may be worth a shot.

As for an alternative recovery menu procedure, I'm not sure there is one.
sysmai
Android 1.0

Post by sysmai »

first off you have so much respect from me for this crazy soft root. i have been trying everything i could think to get this done. I didnt even come remotely close to your absolute genius way of unsigned kernel. always humbles a brotha to see how much i dont know. now, a question? the hulu flash in browser all works great. but i hate when things dont do their only purpose. the hulu plus app. of course it fc every time. after smali/baksmali i see that the lib being used is in a dir with arm at the front. i know jack of coding/compiling but this lib being for arm processor, that would be the root cause yes? if so is recompiling a .so anything like a binary or does it have to be redone for x86? i see that chain had no problem doing the su binary but if we did that for the lib could that work? or perhaps i am no where close and someone could direct me to the best source to port. whatever. i hunger for knowledge and love to force those companies to give me what i pay for. thanks in advance
anuraj1
Android 1.0

Post by anuraj1 »

replaytv5000 wrote:
colinphoto wrote:
Well don't take the silence to mean that we're avoiding you. My first reaction was a puckered a-hole, not to be alarmist. No one wants to hear the dreaded "b" word in any android forum.

Lets try to stay positive tho... in dealing with ReplayTVs back in the day and they wouldn't boot or even power on, we would disconnect all input & output cables & power. Let it sit overnight and try again the next day with only the bare minimum needed to run the thing. These are two different animals, but still electronics and may be worth a shot.

As for an alternative recovery menu procedure, I'm not sure there is one.
Seriously, "reboot recovery" is a root ADB command that takes any other Android device into recovery. Not sure why it wouldn't work on our GTV boxes, give it a shot if you can.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

anuraj1 wrote: Seriously, "reboot recovery" is a root ADB command that takes any other Android device into recovery. Not sure why it wouldn't work on our GTV boxes, give it a shot if you can.
I was thinkin about that...
just thinking out loud raj, but doesn't there have to be an active net connection for adb over IP? it wont even list as a device in adb, right?
Last edited by replaytv5000 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anuraj1
Android 1.0

Post by anuraj1 »

replaytv5000 wrote:
anuraj1 wrote: Seriously, "reboot recovery" is a root ADB command that takes any other Android device into recovery. Not sure why it wouldn't work on our GTV boxes, give it a shot if you can.
I was thinkin about that...
just thinking out loud raj, but doesn't there have to be an active net connection for adb over IP? it wont even list as a device in adb, right?
hm, good point. I think it could be possible, but only if ADB was set up prior to this happening. And if the GTV box is over wifi, then without Android loading up, it wouldn't establish a wifi connection.
Catrane
Android 1.0

Post by Catrane »

sowright wrote:Thanks so much for creating this. Installed really easily.

Hulu works great now, however Amazon Prime Instant videos will no longer work. When I click the Play Now link on any Amazon Instant Video, nothing happens. All other links on the Amazon page works, except for any Instant video play link...

Is anyone else experiencing this?
I can confirm that Amazon Instant Video works just fine.

After applying the exploit, the day before your post I loaded one Amazon Prime Instant Video, watched a bit, did some web surfing, and loaded and watched a different Amazon Prime Instant Video without trouble.

The following day, I watched youtube and Hulu videos, and today I successfully resumed watching the Amazon Instant Video that I had started before your post. To round out the testing, I just loaded another free one that I've never looked at and it is playing fine.

Up until recently, Amazon Instant Videos had to be reloaded before they would play, so I'd chalk it up to Amazon's service being flaky.

- Catrane
bigshotproducer
Android 1.0

Post by bigshotproducer »

You need to have set up the unit for remote debugging to do ADB over IP. So unless that was done before, I don't think adb can be done. :(
anuraj1
Android 1.0

Post by anuraj1 »

Catrane wrote:
sowright wrote:Thanks so much for creating this. Installed really easily.

Hulu works great now, however Amazon Prime Instant videos will no longer work. When I click the Play Now link on any Amazon Instant Video, nothing happens. All other links on the Amazon page works, except for any Instant video play link...

Is anyone else experiencing this?
I can confirm that Amazon Instant Video works just fine.

After applying the exploit, the day before your post I loaded one Amazon Prime Instant Video, watched a bit, did some web surfing, and loaded and watched a different Amazon Prime Instant Video without trouble.

The following day, I watched youtube and Hulu videos, and today I successfully resumed watching the Amazon Instant Video that I had started before your post. To round out the testing, I just loaded another free one that I've never looked at and it is playing fine.

Up until recently, Amazon Instant Videos had to be reloaded before they would play, so I'd chalk it up to Amazon's service being flaky.

- Catrane
Out of curiosity, how are you going about watching Amazon Prime videos? Maybe I am not doing it correctly... I search for them using the Magnifying Glass button on the remote, and then click "Rent" or "Buy" when they appear in the search. It takes me into a browser with a big green button that says "Watch Now", but clicking on it doesn't do anything.