NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

News and Updates about the Sony Devices
chrislovestv
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: NSX-GT1 and NSZ-GT1 exploit to run unsigned kernels!

Post by chrislovestv »

Just a note on anyone else noticing a sound issue -- I had no sound when I first booted after the root. I rebooted (changed nothing) and had sound when it came back up. I am not going to say I didn't panic for a split second but everything came up golden. Changed my user agent to generic and am happily watching my hulu plus account as we speak. I'm glad to tell playon to kiss off.
Hosemaster
Android 1.0

Post by Hosemaster »

chrislovestv wrote:Just a note on anyone else noticing a sound issue -- I had no sound when I first booted after the root. I rebooted (changed nothing) and had sound when it came back up. I am not going to say I didn't panic for a split second but everything came up golden. Changed my user agent to generic and am happily watching my hulu plus account as we speak. I'm glad to tell playon to kiss off.
Awesome! That did the trick, thank you! I feel dumb that it was just turn it off/on, but oh well.
anuraj1
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Post by anuraj1 »

Well I figured out how to do ADB over IP and allowed installing non-market apps. I even pushed Superuser.apk, and it would work except it doesn't have permission to write the su binary.
gottahavit
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by gottahavit »

did you recompile the su for x86? the nore su will not work and therefore neither will superuser.apk
anuraj1
Android 1.0

Post by anuraj1 »

gottahavit wrote:did you recompile the su for x86? the nore su will not work and therefore neither will superuser.apk
No, I simply sent the superuser.apk from my phone to dropbox, and downloaded it to my GTV Box. The app itself works, but when I try to update the su binary in the settings, it says it doesn't have permission to write it. I suppose I could ADB push the binary to the location it needs to be just to see what happens. I haven't used ADB since I rooted my Droid 1 back in 2009.
gottahavit
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by gottahavit »

You missed the point. the SU binary needs to be compiled for intel x86. The ARM version from your phone will not work
anuraj1
Android 1.0

Post by anuraj1 »

gottahavit wrote:You missed the point. the SU binary needs to be compiled for intel x86. The ARM version from your phone will not work
Unfortunately that is beyond my skill level haha.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

anuraj1 wrote:
gottahavit wrote:
anuraj1 wrote:So I am trying to enable non market apps using the provided instructions. I bought Better Terminal Emulator but it is saying permission denied. Am I supposed to connect my PC to run an ADB Shell?
I believe you will need to use adb, since we can't really get SU on the GTV it'self
Do I just connect the GTV box to my PC with a USB cable?
Sorry that no one has answered you, but no. The USB ports are for external storage. Besides finding an A-to-A USB cable would be difficult in retail hell.
These boxes use ADB over IP. There is a setting in Development under Applications in Settings. Just make sure Remote Debugging is checked. You will use the option "Debugger IP address" to config.
anuraj1
Android 1.0

Post by anuraj1 »

replaytv5000 wrote: Sorry that no one has answered you, but no. The USB ports are for external storage. Besides finding an A-to-A USB cable would be difficult in retail hell.
These boxes use ADB over IP. There is a setting in Development under Applications in Settings. Just make sure Remote Debugging is checked. You will use the option "Debugger IP address" to config.
Thank you so much, I figured that out after buying a cable yesterday haha. I read on Google's android SDK site and managed to connect with ADB over IP and allowed non-market apps.

I don't know how to recompile the SU binary for x86 but I'm in contact with ChainsDD, who wrote the superuser.apk, maybe he can help out.

EDIT: ChainsDD has compiled the SU binary for x86 and needs testers: http://t.co/LXwdoOJc
Zane_Grey
Android 1.0

Post by Zane_Grey »

Here is what I did using the su for x86 from the post above me.

adb push su /system/bin/
adb push su /system/xbin/
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/

then:

adb shell
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

I went into the superuser app and it just shows su binary as vnull. Also root explorer doesn't request for su and even though it shows system as rewritable I was unable to delete files.

Has anyone gotten su binary to work?