root #2

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

havikx
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

root #2

Post by havikx »

OK so the gtvhacker guys released the root exploit for revue. They feel its out of most peoples league to do so they opted not to make a user friendly release with some form of instructions. So can some elaborate on how to go about it? Build the root binary and.... run thru adb?

Its been too long.
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
resno
The Green One

Re: root #2

Post by resno »

Just note:

If you are technically savy and are willing to risk damaging your box, gambling on how skilled you are, then feel free to give it a shot. We will note that you are likely to brick your device much like we have bricked ours (but we have fancy-pants hardware recovery mechanisms).
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
havikx
1.6 Donut

Post by havikx »

ha..... actually i never set git or xtools up since updating my mac. lol. i was retard for a second. thought i wasnt spelling anything right. i'm currently trying to redownload xcode but taking forever....

so... lemme ask...
1.clone from git
2. compile
3. connect over adb and push
4. run script
5. profit?!

did i miss anything in there?

also note: not scared to brick this thing. worst case is it becomes a hardware donation. i'm sure i can find another, hardware root it this time, and start trying again. plus costar soon so... whatever. also, i think i've rooted enough phones and built enough desktops to be considered "tech savvy" thank you. dont let my short list of devices fool you.
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
doug piston
Android 1.0

Post by doug piston »

Watch the video. It's fairly straight forward.
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

I just did it. It's a cake walk if you follow the video. It took me nearly 5 minutes tops, which is because I watched the video, then followed it as it played again. Now if only we can figure out how to get su to stay and have a permanent root.
mrdavis1118
Android 1.0

Post by mrdavis1118 »

could we not do something similar to the sony downgrade process? http://gtvhacker.com/index.php/About_So ... ter_(Root)
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

What I want to know is, can we un-neuter the recovery, at least leaving us an open upgrade path if we do anything to stop it.
mrdavis1118
Android 1.0

Post by mrdavis1118 »

that is actually more of what i was thinking. I am on 3.2 with nuetered recovery, would we be able to apply http://forum.gtvhacker.com/revue/topic254.html to get unneutered once temporary root is in place?
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

Looking at it, I'm not sure as far as the file goes and being signed, but I think we could do it, if it's not for the signature. Push the file, run the root, then flash the file. Let's see if Zenofex can comment on this though, so we don't brick them though.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

mrdavis1118 wrote:that is actually more of what i was thinking. I am on 3.2 with nuetered recovery, would we be able to apply http://forum.gtvhacker.com/revue/topic254.html to get unneutered once temporary root is in place?
Well, you should be able to. Issue is, the box will randomly update the recovery version (look at the init scripts) - and push it's recovery.img from /system/boot/. This may work as a temporary fix, but it will just be overwritten whenever the box decides.