Google Play not updating

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

robertr3d
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Google Play not updating

Post by robertr3d »

Hi all,

I'm from Italy and I have the same problem for updating Google Play ( and before Youtube Client).

I've noticed that today something has been changed because now the message "Updating of google play for google tv unsuccessfull" is shown while before nothing was shown.

I'll try the chrome extension for downloading the apk.

However, my revue version is the last official ( build b61925 ).
mcd2000
Ice Cream Sandwich
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by mcd2000 »

I have an idea that this problem happens with people who ever used Beta Honeycomb on their Revues...
ViMu Player
ViMu/GTVBox Google+ page
My devices: Logitech Revue, Sony NSZ-GT1, Sony NSZ-GS7, Vizio Co-Star, Hisense Pulse (rooted), ASUS Qube and some others...
micl9
Android 1.0

Post by micl9 »

mcd2000 wrote:I have an idea that this problem happens with people who ever used Beta Honeycomb on their Revues...
Possible I guess.
I had the 1st leak loaded only and also side-loaded the update IIRC
mcd2000
Ice Cream Sandwich

Post by mcd2000 »

I've noticed, that my Revue has /system partition mounted RO. That is very strange. This is the partition, where stock apps are located.
I wonder whether people who successfully updated their Markets also have the same...
ViMu Player
ViMu/GTVBox Google+ page
My devices: Logitech Revue, Sony NSZ-GT1, Sony NSZ-GS7, Vizio Co-Star, Hisense Pulse (rooted), ASUS Qube and some others...
kalhimeo
Android 1.0

Post by kalhimeo »

mcd2000 wrote:I've noticed, that my Revue has /system partition mounted RO. That is very strange. This is the partition, where stock apps are located.
I wonder whether people who successfully updated their Markets also have the same...
How can I check that (sorry I am not an expert :p) ?

I successfully updated market and always run the official Revue updates only
tcrews
Android 1.0

Post by tcrews »

/system on Android is always RO. User installed apps and updates to /system apps should got to /data/app.

I'm guessing the users who manually updated through the leaks and what-not (I'm one of those) have different signing keys than the actual pushed out OTA, preventing the /system apps to be updated with the different signature the Market versions have....

On android phones, the typical way to correct this is to have root, mount /system/app as RW and remove the offending app and then uninstall its package. Then either copy the new app to /system/app and set its permissions properly and reboot or just install the app as a user app. The other typical way is for someone to create a flashable .zip file (for use in an alternate recovery to allow flashing of unsigned .zip files) that removes the stock app and replaces it with the new app.

Since we don't have root or an alternate recovery.....it doesn't look good for a method to fix this.
parrotheadmjb
Android 1.0

Post by parrotheadmjb »

tcrews wrote:/system on Android is always RO. User installed apps and updates to /system apps should got to /data/app.

I'm guessing the users who manually updated through the leaks and what-not (I'm one of those) have different signing keys than the actual pushed out OTA, preventing the /system apps to be updated with the different signature the Market versions have....

On android phones, the typical way to correct this is to have root, mount /system/app as RW and remove the offending app and then uninstall its package. Then either copy the new app to /system/app and set its permissions properly and reboot or just install the app as a user app. The other typical way is for someone to create a flashable .zip file (for use in an alternate recovery to allow flashing of unsigned .zip files) that removes the stock app and replaces it with the new app.

Since we don't have root or an alternate recovery.....it doesn't look good for a method to fix this.
I suspected the same once I saw that some people were able to update and others weren't. Are the build #'s the same?? I suspect Google will fix this eventually, but I ask about the build numbers in case it takes too long and I decide to create and RMA with Logitech. I was on the Honeycomb beta and sideloaded all the updates; Build number: KA2X-20111123.091818.user-b61925

Also, I've been emailing the Google Play Support Team back and forth about this, haven't made any progress.. only received generic responses so far like, "On devices, it will take a few days for the Android Market app to update to the Google Play Store app - please be patient!" . Logitech is useless, all they told me is that I need to discuss this with Google since its their app, so I wouldn't suggest hassling Logitech support about it.
killer4110
Contributor

Post by killer4110 »

parrotheadmjb wrote:
tcrews wrote:/system on Android is always RO. User installed apps and updates to /system apps should got to /data/app.

I suspected the same once I saw that some people were able to update and others weren't. Are the build #'s the same?? I suspect Google will fix this eventually, but I ask about the build numbers in case it takes too long and I decide to create and RMA with Logitech. I was on the Honeycomb beta and sideloaded all the updates; Build number: KA2X-20111123.091818.user-b61925

Also, I've been emailing the Google Play Support Team back and forth about this, haven't made any progress.. only received generic responses so far like, "On devices, it will take a few days for the Android Market app to update to the Google Play Store app - please be patient!" . Logitech is useless, all they told me is that I need to discuss this with Google since its their app, so I wouldn't suggest hassling Logitech support about it.
I know this has nothing to do with GTV, but the Google Play hasn't updated to my HTC EVO 4G or Samsung Galaxy Tab yet, i have tried everything, but no update to the new version as of yet. So it is not just the GTV's that have this problem..
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
parrotheadmjb
Android 1.0

Post by parrotheadmjb »

killer4110 wrote: I know this has nothing to do with GTV, but the Google Play hasn't updated to my HTC EVO 4G or Samsung Galaxy Tab yet, i have tried everything, but no update to the new version as of yet. So it is not just the GTV's that have this problem..
No update shows up on your phone or tablet? or the installation just flat out fails? I sideloaded the new play store on my phone & tablet just fine ... it can technically "take up to 3 weeks" for the update to appear on your device by itself; my problem isn't getting the update on the Revue, its installing the update, and because it won't install, I can't even use the market anymore (unless I go through play.google.com/store)
coggy9
Android 1.0

Post by coggy9 »

tcrews wrote:I'm guessing the users who manually updated through the leaks and what-not (I'm one of those) have different signing keys than the actual pushed out OTA, preventing the /system apps to be updated with the different signature the Market versions have....
I think you're right. I looked at logcat as the Market tried to update itself....gave an error about not signed correctly. Logitech has said they are working on a fix on the official forum.....how long does it take to make a small zip with new APKs with the new key?!?!?