best way to get slingbox viewer *and* hulu/cbs/etc.

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

hiroo
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

best way to get slingbox viewer *and* hulu/cbs/etc.

Post by hiroo »

Just got my Revue from Amazon. My main goals for it are:
1) use it as slingbox viewer
2) view tv shows from online sites like hulu.

From reading through the forum and the slingbox site, it seems that the slingbox app is available in the latest factory build (3.1?). And from forum reading, the revue must be soldered/rooted before first use in order to install the modified flash player and id strings needed to view hulu/cbs/etc. From that rooted state, you can't update to factory 3.1, so I wouldn't have slingbox viewer.

What is the best path through all this?

Note: I can't go the PlayOn route because this is for my mom's house, which doesn't have a box available to be a PlayOn server.

Thanks!
hiroo
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: best way to get slingbox viewer *and* hulu/cbs/etc.

Post by hiroo »

ok, a lot of viewers but no responses. i'll break down my questions and maybe we can work towards an answer. Keep in mind, I've never used a Revue or Google TV before, just done a lot of reading in this forum and other webpages. I have my Revue in hand but don't want to hook it up since that will prevent later rooting when it updates.

1) Here is the info on slingbox viewer from sling themselves: http://www.slingbox.com/go/logitech-revue-set-up

Do I need the official 3.1 release to get slingbox viewer? Or does anybody have slingbox viewing running on a rooted install? If so, what release?

2) Is it true that if I root and then update to the official 3.1 release, I will lose rooting and hence lose the ability to install modded flash player to access hulu and other blocked sites? Are there any work arounds to access those sites using 3.1?

Thanks in advance.