accessing recovery mode/receiving OTA's with the 3.1 beta

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Re: accessing recovery mode/receiving OTA's with the 3.1 bet

Post by killer4110 »

emenl wrote:
Kenslypig wrote:Does the Revue with 2nd 3.1 update brick on a power loss?
Mine did. Had the 2nd 3.1 update installing successfully, and now its just stuck on the "Logitech Revue" screen. Been trying everything that's posted on here, but nothing seems to work. Guess that's what I get for being impatient. :)
I think it is certain devices, i had a hurricane here about 3 weeks ago and i refused to turn the tv off, we lost power about 10 times that night, had a couple of brown outs, and my Revue is fine,it reboots about 20 times a day, but it is fine.Maybe we should compare serial #"s maybe there is a pattern here...
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
emenl
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by emenl »

Kenslypig wrote:
I think it is certain devices, i had a hurricane here about 3 weeks ago and i refused to turn the tv off, we lost power about 10 times that night, had a couple of brown outs, and my Revue is fine,it reboots about 20 times a day, but it is fine.Maybe we should compare serial #"s maybe there is a pattern here...
Just for information purposes, my serial is 1046GB0455XX.

I figure I'm going to hang on to this for awhile longer, hopefully a new method to unbrick it comes out and I can save it. Otherwise, I have a nice box of shotshells just waiting to be unloaded. :lol:
loosemoose
Android 1.0

Post by loosemoose »

Benjmyers1 wrote:ok, figured it out. here is what i did:

1) formatted my pen drive as fat 32
2) placed the first 3.1 update file on the pen drive as update.zip
3) extracted all the files on the pen drive into the root folder with winzip

at this point you should have the update.zip and all the files from the update.zip extracted on the pen drive.
4) unplugged power (i did have both the hdmi in and hdmi out and ir blaster plugged in though)
5) placed the pen drive in the usb port farthest from ethernet port (when facing the back of the revue, it will be on the left)
6) plug power in
7) count one mississippi then push the connect button. just push it once and let go, DO NOT HOLD IT DOWN (this is what i was doing wrong all this time)
8) sit back and relax as it will show the flash screen (logitech revue) then go black, and should show the update bar) continue to wait, as it looks like it gets stuck...but it keeps going, it will continue on its own untill the 'welcome to logitech revue' screen

ENJOY!

Ben
I had the same problem. I got it to work by somewhat following Ben's instructions. Basically the whole USB stuff was unnecessary for me. Pay careful attention to step 7, count 1 mississippi then just push the connect button for a solid half second and then let go.

so in short:
1. unplug power
2. plug power
3. count one mississippi, then push connect button for a half second and let got
4. I also pushed alt+l right away after it rebooted, but I think this was unnecessary

It should then boot with no data loss, no need to reflash anything.
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

Curiosity, I know that HC3.1 UserDebug you can't access recovery, but has anyone tried to force it to recovery from ADB? Just wondering.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Yes. To elaborate on "accessing recovery".

Recovery is there, however the actual program that does the recovery will not accept any user input. So the issue isn't getting into recovery, it's more using recovery. However, we believe we sorted a way to get it working again - but hang in there. It does work in our tests which is a good thing, but we would like to try it with a 3.1 final first, just to make sure.

The issue with our method, is that if you don't do it exactly as described, the box will brick. Fun stuff, eh?
noiofnine
Android 1.0

Post by noiofnine »

cj_000 wrote:Yes. To elaborate on "accessing recovery".

Recovery is there, however the actual program that does the recovery will not accept any user input. So the issue isn't getting into recovery, it's more using recovery. However, we believe we sorted a way to get it working again - but hang in there. It does work in our tests which is a good thing, but we would like to try it with a 3.1 final first, just to make sure.

The issue with our method, is that if you don't do it exactly as described, the box will brick. Fun stuff, eh?

Would you mind telling us, what you mean by you believe you sorted a way to get it working?

I'm very much hoping you do. I accidentally flashed the wrong file first. I downloaded both at the same time, and some how the 2nd leaked finished first. So when I came back from the gym, I figure that was the first one and I put that on my USB drive.... now I get a large ! error.

impatient and should have double checked. arrrgggg.
thewilliams1
Android 1.0

Post by thewilliams1 »

I pulled the jack move of all jack moves.. I decided to install the leak (since you can now load recovery). I installed the first one fine and was downloading the second. While it was downloading I was configuring my account, trying to race the download, more or less.

Well, I got past logging in to my Google account when the download finished.. so I loaded the file onto my USB, pulled the power from the back of the Revue, went in to update and here I sit at the splash screen.

For some reason, my brain didn't connect all the warnings about power outages.

CRAP!
long2know
Android 1.0

Post by long2know »

Anyone else have any more luck with this?
IPvFletch
Android 1.0

Post by IPvFletch »

So, if we have the original leaked 3.1 build, do we also have to (re)install this recovery in order to receive the OTA???
jm9843
Android 1.0

Post by jm9843 »

IPvFletch wrote:So, if we have the original leaked 3.1 build, do we also have to (re)install this recovery in order to receive the OTA???
Leaked builds won't get the final 3.1 build OTA. We're going to have to manually flash the update.