Streaming from PC: Best Software/Formats to Rip???

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

p-richard
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Streaming from PC: Best Software/Formats to Rip???

Post by p-richard »

Greetings fellow hackers: A bit frustrated after spending a lot of hours trying to find the best combination only to find Logitech could have made this so much easier. I just can't seem to find this spelled out anywhere on the web.

Here's what I'm trying to do: I want to rip my DVD's and Blu-Rays to files to stream through the Revue to my Non-DLNA 58" Plasma and 5.1 Audio Receiver. I have the server successfully connected and can see files using TVersity, GTVBox, Mezzmo, or Logitech Media Player so no problem there and have successfully streamed a couple non-movie files with both HD and 5.1. Unfortunately, I have not been successful with Movies. When I left home this morning I had Handbrake crunching a blu-Ray that it been working on all night and still had hours to go. At that rate my great grand children will be finishing my collection for me.

So the real question is this: Considering the known limitations of the Revue in its current state, what software or process would you use to create a library if you were starting from scratch? The goal is the highest video quality and 5.1 audio without having the server having to do any converting. My computer is too slow.

Thanks in advance.

PJ
p-richard
Android 1.0

Re: Streaming from PC: Best Software/Formats to Rip???

Post by p-richard »

OK, 33 lookers but no comments. So I scared you all off or something. After reading it over, I'll try to clarify a couple things. 1st; The file I was able to stream was one Universal Pre-Movie blip off a blu-ray converted to MKV. I think it worked because the audio is different. Not DTS I'm thinking. 2nd; I was able to get Mezzmo to play an MKV created by MakeMKV. A slick and quick program which only took 30 minutes. Unfortunately, because I believe the audio was DTS, Mezzmo had to convert on the fly. It can do that, but my computer is too slow and had to buffer every couple minutes. I'm also not confident I was getting 5.1 sound out of it which is annoying. I suppose my computer is due for an upgrade anyway, but I'm trying to avoid that hassle if possible.

Anyway, I know many of you are doing this. Please help me short cut this process if you are. This may help a lot of people trying to do the same thing but get frustrated and give up.

Thanks again in advance.

PJ
HNF
Android 1.0

Post by HNF »

I've converted regular DVDs to mp4s and they do play okay. I can't help you out with your specific scenario, sorry.
socalracer
Android 1.0

Post by socalracer »

I am in sorta the same situation as you. I run tvsersity which has run really well for me. My server is connected to router on 100mbps wire, and gtv is on 54g. Most movies that were in mp4 I can play. But I haven't got dts to work on the ota 3.1. Most of the stuff I had was mkv and the gtv hasn't ever played nice with those. So I used avidemux. It takes about 30 to 45 mins to run my 2hr 10gb mkv through it. I have a custom mp4 script/filter to make it easy. I have struggled playing 10gb+ mp4s wirelessly on 54 this was the best I could get it until my n router arrives tomorrow. In no way is my method great but its the best I have done. Once I get everything working the way I want I was gonna put a write up together. I only use handbrake for resizing video for my xoom otherwise its usually trash
p-richard
Android 1.0

Post by p-richard »

Thank you both very much for the feedback. I too plan to post a "process" once I figure it out. I was hoping someone who has already been through the ropes would chime in. I'm probably too impatient. >LOL< I've been trying to run a different scenario every day with the blu-rays but they have all come up lame so far. I might just have to bite the bullet and upgrade. It might be cheaper to get the Sony. The MakeMKV is by far the easiest then stream using Mezzmo. It's just too much of a resource hog.

More to come...
anidrin
Android 1.0

Post by anidrin »

I use DVDCatalyst. There isnt a specific profile for the GTV, but it defaults to the Xoom and those play perfectly streaming from my PC. There are HD Profiles as well for BluRay quality movies. CBR was just introduced this last update and it is amazing in regards to quality with small size.
tools4movies.com
p-richard
Android 1.0

Post by p-richard »

OK fellow hackers. An update on my progress.

I now have upgraded my PC to an i7-2600k with an ASUS P8Z68-v/Gen3 board and 16gb of ram. My test was to use MakeMKV and dump a Blu-Ray (Pirates of the Caribbean) into an MKV and stream with the Logitech Revue allowing Mezzmo to do all the transcoding on the fly. It worked beautifully!! Video was crisp and clear and the DTS transcoded into ac3 without any hitch. YIPPEE!!!! Finally some success here.

My only issue now is that GTVbox doesn't play well with Mezzmo and I had to use the crappy Logitech Media Player. I do hope they're working on that. Now that I have a process I can start dumping my DVD's onto my Drobo.

What would make this better? Any suggestions??
ple1ades
Android 1.0

Post by ple1ades »

ES file explorer?
long2know
Android 1.0

Post by long2know »

I convert everything with Handbrake to x264 mkv. For any audio that is DTS, I use Popcorn audio converter to convert to 640kbps 5.1 AC3. With both 720p and 1080p, that plays perfectly with the Revue's DLNA player.
kaylawang
Android 1.0

Post by kaylawang »

To rip and convert Blu-ray, Aunsoft Blu-ray ripper is the best choice, it rips/converts Blu-ray/DVD to many HD formats with high quality. The most important is that Aunsoft gives 50% off for Blu-ray ripper, you can get the software with only half price now.