New User Refurbished Amazon Logitech Revue

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

pete_c
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

New User Refurbished Amazon Logitech Revue

Post by pete_c »

Nice forum.

I just purchased and received my Logitech Revue from the Amazon $79 refurbished sale.

It appears to be new. I plugged it in this past week via network cable.

Within minutes it updated itself. I didn't pay any attention to the update other then seeing it update.

I configured the Revue with my google account information login and password; no sync.

I am having the problem where I see the market apps and when I go to installing any of them; they don't seem to be installing.

Additionally I went to Amazon and now have the amazon apps in Market. Same thing with Amazon apps. None of them will install.

I have tried a few included applications and they seem to work. I am not really interested though as I want the Revue to just run a couple of custom applications; nothing more; on 3.1.

I am a bit into home automation; that said I have devices (touchscreens) running Linux, Wintel and Android custom connections to the mothership doing this and that.

I was planning on using this device with my home office combo LCD TV to maybe replace my chrooted NMT behine the set right now. I do have it connected to my main family room LCD for testing at this time.

Asking for suggestions here on what to do with my Logitech Revue which is not working for me.

1 - return it to Amazon as defective
2 - attempt another firmware update as it appears that the current firmware is not functioning correctly on it.
3 - don't post on this website/forum

- pete
killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Re: New User Refurbished Amazon Logitech Revue

Post by killer4110 »

The device may or may not be defective..

When you go into settings, scroll to the bottom and click the "About" tab, what is the build #,if the last bunch of #"s are b61925,then you have the latest update.

First thing you must do is check "Unknown Sources",that is in the "Applications" tab within the settings.

Once you are done with the update, do a factory reset,that is in the "Privacy & Safety" tab within the settings. Start all over again with putting in your info.

Even though you can put the Amazon app store on your Revue,you cannot install apps onto the Revue, you must side-load them. Once that is done, if there is an update for the app that you installed from the Amazon app store, you can update it through the Amazon app store.And if you un-install the Amazon app store, whatever app you got from Amazon will no longer work until you re-install Amazon.

If you are not familiar with the process of side loading apps watch this video http://youtu.be/h7n4_gf6580

Let us know if you have got it working properly,there are alot of smart people here on the forums who can help you sort this out.
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
pete_c
Android 1.0

Post by pete_c »

When you go into settings, scroll to the bottom and click the "About" tab, what is the build #,if the last bunch of #"s are b61925,then you have the latest update.

First thing you must do is check "Unknown Sources",that is in the "Applications" tab within the settings.

Once you are done with the update, do a factory reset,that is in the "Privacy & Safety" tab within the settings. Start all over again with putting in your info.
Thank-you for the quick reply.

I'm currently more into getting this device to work with Android 3.1 rather than watching regular TV; which I really don't; if that makes any sense? It'll be running some very custom stuff only.

The about tab shows most current update.

I have checked the "Unknown Sources" tab. I will try to do the factory reset via the "Privacy & Saftey" tab.

So basically I have just held down the button in the back of the Revue to do the factory reset; which did appear to work.

For the Amazon store stuff; it was just an attempt to install a couple of applications; but really just a test for now. Initially have to get market to work as the first thing I wanted to do was install a file manager (which I couldn't) such that I could load up my own applications via USB stick (which is dinging my efforts right now).

I did open up the firewall (Smoothwall) for the Revue in case anything was blocked; it doesn't appear to have any type of login or validation issues from what I can tell so far.

I like though that I can play with Android on a large screen as its fine to root my phone but the display is too small and so I've been using VM to play on my regular desktop; but a large screen would even be nicer (I'll be using my home office on the wall LCD instead of my computer monitors). I know its probably all related to this DRM stuff; as I had no issues rooting (chrooting) my Chumby (s) or miniature NMTs; but never even tried anything with the Sony Dash.
pete_c
Android 1.0

Post by pete_c »

Started again from a cold boot. I created a new Google account and opened up the firewall. Same results as before. I cannot install any applications from the Android Market included with the 3.1 update. It goes to installing and I never see anything afterwards.

So instead went to just one application; Blackmoon File browser; went to the web site and clicked on the link to download application. It downloaded just fine. I then installed application and it installed. I opened application and its running fine.

It appears then that Android Market isn't working correctly. I will try to install it / update it.

I found a link to download Market; installed it (now I have two icons) and it works fine. It lets me install anything right now. Its the browser version of Market though.
killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by killer4110 »

pete_c wrote:Started again from a cold boot. I created a new Google account and opened up the firewall. Same results as before. I cannot install any applications from the Android Market included with the 3.1 update. It goes to installing and I never see anything afterwards.

So instead went to just one application; Blackmoon File browser; went to the web site and clicked on the link to download application. It downloaded just fine. I then installed application and it installed. I opened application and its running fine.

It appears then that Android Market isn't working correctly. I will try to install it / update it.

I found a link to download Market; installed it (now I have two icons) and it works fine. It lets me install anything right now. Its the browser version of Market though.
Last week i was in a "Hangout" on G+ with some of the Google TV developers, and they did state that there was a problem with the Market for TV, something about signature verification or something to that effect.

When i want to download an app from the Market i have to click on it, then do a quick re-boot, once the device is up and running again, the app downloads with-in seconds. So it is not just your device that has the problems.
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
pete_c
Android 1.0

Post by pete_c »

Thanks Killer.

Yes; decided to keep it this afternoon.

I've read too that the newest 3.1 update actually stifled some of the functionality seen with the beta 3.1 that was being played with and circulating about.

Installed a custom application and it worked. Like to get a touchscreen combo working with it.
daver99
Android 1.0

Post by daver99 »

I also just bought and installed a refurb Logitech revue. I'm impressed so far and glad to find this forum.

I saw a similar weirdness when I tried to install Goggle music, where it didn't install at first. Later (sorry not sure how much later) I came back to try again it was at the "install" stage and I just clicked and it installed immediately.

The reason I mention it is that I did not reboot in between. I did a whole lot of random different things, including "closing" the gtv to watch live TV, but as far as I know there was no reboot. A similar process occurred with installing the imdb app. I tried once and it seemed to sort of sit on the downloading state, but when I tried again later it installed. I haven't confirmed that all app installs take a 2 step process or what exact activity made it work the second time. I'll investigate and report back if I figure it out.

Dave
pete_c
Android 1.0

Post by pete_c »

Tried to get to the included GTV market yesterday and it said it was unavailable. I then did a blanket search and it appeared to work OK. I then tried to install an application; still no go. I'll try the two step install today. Meanwhile the installed web market works just fine. Very odd.

At this time I just have it connected to the LCD TV; no pass through; no remote functions enabled to TV or MM receiver. Simple connection with just an HDMI, network cable and power for the time being.

I don't watch much regular TV (although I have cable, DTV and OTA) but looking more to run a custom Android application with connectivity to my home automation server. This said my application has about 26 screens now; each kind of unique showing status, thermostat control, security, etc. I could though now probably condense these screens to only 1-2 at 1920×1200 resolution. There would probably be like maybe 50 contantly changing variables on the screens though; not sure how well the OS could deal with this.

So I am repurposing the Revue for something other than it was meant for and really just wanting it to do basic stuff using Android 3.1.

Attached is one screen which I am currently graphing wind speeds from three different weather stations (which I am playing with).