Chrome user agent fix for blocked content

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

h8isgr8
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Chrome user agent fix for blocked content

Post by h8isgr8 »

Not sure if I'm late in this discovery, but if you change the user agent to "custom" in chrome then you can watch blocked flash content. I changed mine and I can now watch The Daily Show and Colbert Report.

My working custom user agent string is....

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)
matt314159
Android 1.0

Re: Chrome user agent fix for blocked content

Post by matt314159 »

tried that, rebooted, and got the "hi, we notice you're using a google tv device...blah blah working hard to bring it to you, blah blah blah"

I had thought this workaround was dead in the water like a year ago, but decided to try it when you posted. On that note, anyone want to PM me special "hints" at what I can do to get H on there? I've been doing my reading, but can't seem to figure it out.
h8isgr8
Android 1.0

Post by h8isgr8 »

Haha, sorry for the false hope man. :oops:

I got the same kind of message when I tried playing video from the sites I mentioned. I remembered the user agent thing from owning a DROIDX so I tried it and it worked.

I didn't reboot the revue though, just closed chrome and restarted it. Is the setting persistent after rebooting the unit?
matt314159
Android 1.0

Post by matt314159 »

h8isgr8 wrote:I didn't reboot the revue though, just closed chrome and restarted it. Is the setting persistent after rebooting the unit?
Yep it stayed on...in fact chrome prompted me that it needed a reboot to take effect, so that's what I did. Then I thought, "maybe I lost it when I rebooted" and checked and it was still there.
h8isgr8
Android 1.0

Post by h8isgr8 »

Yeah I just tried Hulu and got the rejection message.

Ah well, at least it works for Comedy Central videos.
tdweng
Android 1.0

Post by tdweng »

The problem is that they are checking the flash player as well to determine if you are using gtv. At the moment there is no work around for that unless you did the hardware root and have not updated to any new official or leaked update
MStrawder
Android 1.0

Post by MStrawder »

As mentioned above, it's a combination of the user agent and the flash player that GTV's Chrome uses. A server like PlayOn is the easiest method for watching Hulu. The video quality is degraded slightly due to transcoding, but hey, I can watch Hulu.
servo
Android 1.0

Post by servo »

well this does work for fox.com , which is most of what we want to watch from hulu anyway.