Anyone tried Gingerbreak?

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

netomx
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Anyone tried Gingerbreak?

Post by netomx »

Didn't work :( doesnt get root privileges.. i think you should comile gingerbreak
doug piston
Android 1.0

Post by doug piston »

Rage was a Froyo exploit. And a patched exploit for that matter within newer froyo builds. I am also highly doubting a GB exploit will work on HC.
netomx
Android 1.0

Post by netomx »

Well.. I have read that Honeycomb has been rooted with Gingerbreak, that's why.
havikx
1.6 Donut

Post by havikx »

Its not going to work. We have root with the user debug. The system and kernal are signed and incorporated to the intels security. That's what needs breaking. Which isn't impossible. But more advanced than most of us on this forum....aside from zenofex and other gtvhacker team.

However, I do applaude your efforts. Atleast we are still trying.
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

havikx wrote:Its not going to work. We have root with the user debug. The system and kernal are signed and incorporated to the intels security. That's what needs breaking. Which isn't impossible. But more advanced than most of us on this forum....aside from zenofex and other gtvhacker team.

However, I do applaude your efforts. Atleast we are still trying.
What makes you say you have root with the user debug?
M1cha
Android 1.0

Post by M1cha »

What do you mean with signed system?
Will the box stop booting after modifying file at the system-partition like android-system-apps?

A signed kernel wouldn't stop us from rooting(if we will find an working exploit).
The Motorola-Smartphones have signed kernels but thanks to 2nd-init we can boot own system-images(not kernels).
havikx
1.6 Donut

Post by havikx »

The user debug has adb root. Look at the first post of the first page of the debug release.

And...as I said before, breaking security is way past most of us on this board. As well as trying to make a 2nd init script for the logitech revue. 2nd init is a logical way around... but really, what are we trying to accomplish? I can't honestly see cm7 on the revue. It would add functionality to more apps...but would kill anything relating to tv. Overclock? That's all I can really see happening. And a hulu fix.

I'm sure after the official release, we will see a lot more worth while apps. And we will be happier than we are currently.
T-mobile g1 - cm6
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Member xda forums
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

I've read the posts, and know that the user debug has both adb and su - neither of which had write access to the system.

Having adb doesn't mean you have root.
Having write access to the root system means you have root.
All Android phones have adb, ergo all Android phones have root? I don't think so...

Has anyone been able to write to /system?
havikx
1.6 Donut

Post by havikx »

danger-rat wrote:I've read the posts, and know that the user debug has both adb and su - neither of which had write access to the system.

Having adb doesn't mean you have root.
Having write access to the root system means you have root.
All Android phones have adb, ergo all Android phones have root? I don't think so...

Has anyone been able to write to /system?
No. We have r/w access to most the other partitions including /data. But the /SYSTEM IS SIGNED.

Again...software root but still unable to write anything we actually want to mess with.

But definately just keep asking if any1 has been able to. Its really helping us out.

Btw... I'm pretty sure "#" in adb means its root....right?....
T-mobile g1 - cm6
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Member xda forums
M1cha
Android 1.0

Post by M1cha »

havikx wrote:Btw... I'm pretty sure "#" in adb means its root....right?....
Normally yes.

And: I'm not able to compile Gingerbreak. There are a lot of errors.

Code: Select all

make: Entering directory `/home/m1cha/projects/android-x86'
target  C: init <= system/core/init/init.c
system/core/init/init.c: In function 'find_got':
system/core/init/init.c:154: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
system/core/init/init.c:165: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
system/core/init/init.c:172: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
system/core/init/init.c:175: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
target StaticExecutable: init (out/target/product/eeepc/obj/EXECUTABLES/init_intermediates/LINKED/init)
out/target/product/eeepc/obj/EXECUTABLES/init_intermediates/init.o: In function `find_symbol':
/home/m1cha/projects/android-x86/system/core/init/init.c:127: undefined reference to `dlopen'
/home/m1cha/projects/android-x86/system/core/init/init.c:131: undefined reference to `dlsym'
/home/m1cha/projects/android-x86/system/core/init/init.c:133: undefined reference to `dlclose'
/home/m1cha/projects/android-x86/system/core/init/init.c:127: undefined reference to `dlopen'
/home/m1cha/projects/android-x86/system/core/init/init.c:131: undefined reference to `dlsym'
/home/m1cha/projects/android-x86/system/core/init/init.c:133: undefined reference to `dlclose'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [out/target/product/eeepc/obj/EXECUTABLES/init_intermediates/LINKED/init] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/home/m1cha/projects/android-x86'