Has anyone tested Plex on the new HC 3.1 debug leak?

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

Raketemensch
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Has anyone tested Plex on the new HC 3.1 debug leak?

Post by Raketemensch »

I'm dying to know if this works... I love the hardware, but without Plex/XBMC, it's just not the same....
resno
The Green One

Re: Has anyone tested Plex on the new HC 3.1 debug leak?

Post by resno »

Like a Plex app? Plex/XBMC or anything for that matter cant be run on the Revue or GTV yet...
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
Raketemensch
Android 1.0

Post by Raketemensch »

XBMC apparently hasn't been ported to Android at all, but Plex has.

People ran the Android Plex app on the previous leak, and the whole interface worked, but video wouldn't play. I was wondering if there's been any progress.
resno
The Green One

Post by resno »

Oh, I dont run Plex, I didnt know it was actually running on the Revue.
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

I've installed the Plex server on my PC and tried the app on the Revue, as well as my phone and tablet. Wasn't overly impressed - the interface took forever to catalog my content, was always slow opening videos, locked-up, etc... There's better solutions if you just want to play content from your PC...
Raketemensch
Android 1.0

Post by Raketemensch »

Better non-DLNA solutions?
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

I've found that the best way to play my own content off my PC is to use eStrongs file explorer. It's much quicker, plays more file formats, and seems much more reliable - of course it isn't as fancy looking, but...
davpel
1.5 Cupcake

Post by davpel »

danger-rat wrote:I've installed the Plex server on my PC and tried the app on the Revue, as well as my phone and tablet. Wasn't overly impressed - the interface took forever to catalog my content, was always slow opening videos, locked-up, etc... There's better solutions if you just want to play content from your PC...
Wait . . . so you are saying that the Plex app on the GTV debug leak actually played video? If so, that is a major revelation which indicates that some of the necessary framework to play media outside of the stock GTV apps has been included. Can you confirm this?
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

Yes, I can play video.
There are a number of apps that can play video...
Raketemensch
Android 1.0

Post by Raketemensch »

I'm hoping the Plex developers take this platform seriously. And yes, I'm making these requests to them and promoting the idea on their forums as well....

It's not just a matter of playing videos through a file browser, Plex is a complete media center in a single UI, much like GoogleTV itself is.

If GTV ends up with apps for Pandora, Spotify, Hulu, podcasts, etc, then I guess Plex isn't so much of a necessity, but right now it's just too many different apps and complexities to get all of this integrated with the "live tv" pvr aspect. Plex handles everything I need but the DirecTV portion, which the Revue handles perfectly via the HDMI throughput.

I don't mind switching apps and jumping through hoops, but the goal here is a living-room-friendly solution that my wife won't complain about and the kids can understand.