Installing pin headers into UART1?

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

AZImmortal
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Installing pin headers into UART1?

Post by AZImmortal »

I'm going to be receiving my Revue soon and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on installing pin headers into UART1, like what the pitch is and whether or not it's difficult to suck the existing solder out of the holes. Thanks.
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Re: Installing pin headers into UART1?

Post by Chinpokomon »

The pin that gave me problems was the ground pin. I had a solder sucker, and I don't remember actually clearing it completely. As that was fortunately the only pin that gave me trouble, I just sort of made it work. The pitch was standard, like you may find on most headers. Good luck.
AZImmortal
Android 1.0

Post by AZImmortal »

Chinpokomon wrote:The pin that gave me problems was the ground pin. I had a solder sucker, and I don't remember actually clearing it completely. As that was fortunately the only pin that gave me trouble, I just sort of made it work. The pitch was standard, like you may find on most headers. Good luck.
Thanks. I ordered a 2.54mm pitch strip yesterday, which I believe is the typical standard pitch. As far as the ground pin goes, did you just heat up the uncleared hole and slide the header in while it was hot?
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

AZImmortal wrote:
Chinpokomon wrote:The pin that gave me problems was the ground pin. I had a solder sucker, and I don't remember actually clearing it completely. As that was fortunately the only pin that gave me trouble, I just sort of made it work. The pitch was standard, like you may find on most headers. Good luck.
Thanks. I ordered a 2.54mm pitch strip yesterday, which I believe is the typical standard pitch. As far as the ground pin goes, did you just heat up the uncleared hole and slide the header in while it was hot?
Sorry, I didn't get that you had posted a follow-up. Yes, I just used the fact that it was already hot, and heating the pad from the reverse side of the board as I pushed in the header, it was enough to make it fit... DO NOT FORCE IT. You want to be careful. It is very easy to push a via (the term used to describe the holes) through and permanently damage the board.
AZImmortal
Android 1.0

Post by AZImmortal »

Thanks for your follow-up. I rooted my Revue a few days ago, and that ground pin was a serious pain. I ended up not installing pin headers yet because I'm still waiting for them to arrive, so I decided to try to solder wires directly to the pins. It took forever for me to get the ground pin to take any solder (I guess my iron's not hot enough) and even when it did take, it was very little. I didn't even try to use my solder sucker. In the end, I was able to get it working, so I guess that's what matters.
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

AZImmortal wrote:Thanks for your follow-up. I rooted my Revue a few days ago, and that ground pin was a serious pain. I ended up not installing pin headers yet because I'm still waiting for them to arrive, so I decided to try to solder wires directly to the pins. It took forever for me to get the ground pin to take any solder (I guess my iron's not hot enough) and even when it did take, it was very little. I didn't even try to use my solder sucker. In the end, I was able to get it working, so I guess that's what matters.
Cool, glad you were able to root yours... I wish I could have. That said, I still haven't made the jump to HC, I keep thinking we'll hear an official update from Logitech soon enough.
AZImmortal
Android 1.0

Post by AZImmortal »

From what I understand, you really have nothing to lose in upgrading to the leaked builds, right? I suppose you only need to wait a few more weeks for the official release.