How can you tell if a used Revue is rootable?

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

AZImmortal
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

How can you tell if a used Revue is rootable?

Post by AZImmortal »

Hi all, I know that a Revue has to be a "virgin" (aka: no updates were applied to it) in order to not have the UART1 pins disabled but there are a few postings on craigslist where the owners say that the Revue was "only used once", so I was wondering (1) if it's possible that these Revues have not had any updates applied to them if they were only connected to the internet briefly, and (2) how I can tell if these Revues are actually still "virgins" (like is there a software version or something to look for?). Thanks to all who respond.
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Re: How can you tell if a used Revue is rootable?

Post by zenofex »

AZImmortal wrote:Hi all, I know that a Revue has to be a "virgin" (aka: no updates were applied to it) in order to not have the UART1 pins disabled but there are a few postings on craigslist where the owners say that the Revue was "only used once", so I was wondering (1) if it's possible that these Revues have not had any updates applied to them if they were only connected to the internet briefly, and (2) how I can tell if these Revues are actually still "virgins" (like is there a software version or something to look for?). Thanks to all who respond.
If it was really used at all it probably cant be rooted with the UART root. The first time you boot the box you are required to update to proceed. Chances are if you're buying it used the device has at least gone through the initial setup once and is updated.

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
AZImmortal
Android 1.0

Post by AZImmortal »

I was afraid that that was the answer, but thanks for confirming.
AZImmortal
Android 1.0

Post by AZImmortal »

I sort of have a follow-up question to my original question. I bought a brand new Revue and I don't have my USB->TTL device yet (slow shipping from China). Am I correct in assuming that as long as the Revue doesn't receive any OTA updates by not setting up network access, then it will remain rootable? I basically want to turn it on so that I can confirm that all of the hardware works and make sure that nothing is defective. Thanks.
hmanxx
Android 1.0

Post by hmanxx »

Unless you are looking beyond side-loading of applications , otherwise I would advise you to load in the HoneyComb beta which allows side loading of application..more than enough for general usage.
AZImmortal
Android 1.0

Post by AZImmortal »

I'm actually mostly concerned about being able to watch content from Hulu and other websites, and from what I understand, there's no clean way to watch Hulu on Honeycomb yet, right? I know that there's a workaround that crashes every 15 minutes, but I'd really rather not deal with that.
AZImmortal
Android 1.0

Post by AZImmortal »

AZImmortal wrote:I sort of have a follow-up question to my original question. I bought a brand new Revue and I don't have my USB->TTL device yet (slow shipping from China). Am I correct in assuming that as long as the Revue doesn't receive any OTA updates by not setting up network access, then it will remain rootable? I basically want to turn it on so that I can confirm that all of the hardware works and make sure that nothing is defective. Thanks.
Anyone?
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

AZImmortal wrote:
AZImmortal wrote:I sort of have a follow-up question to my original question. I bought a brand new Revue and I don't have my USB->TTL device yet (slow shipping from China). Am I correct in assuming that as long as the Revue doesn't receive any OTA updates by not setting up network access, then it will remain rootable? I basically want to turn it on so that I can confirm that all of the hardware works and make sure that nothing is defective. Thanks.
Anyone?
You are correct - however, you can't use the revue, at all, until you go thru the initial setup. That initial setup checks for updates too. However, you can turn it on, see the screen about syncing the keyboard, and then shut it off without any issue.

Of note, if you use a wired connection - I would not even go this far, as it will attempt to download an update immediately.
AZImmortal
Android 1.0

Post by AZImmortal »

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. I just wanted to make sure that my hardware wasn't DOA before I started voiding my warranty.
mauricio87
Android 1.0

Post by mauricio87 »

Hi Everyone

I am trying to watch some hulu in the amazing new 3.1, but not luck. Can someone pm me the HULU workaround?

Thanks in advance.