play no longer works!

Got something to discuss and it doesnt fit in the other catergories, place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

enohand
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

play no longer works!

Post by enohand »

whelp...i belive that time has come. i tried going into the play store a moment ago only to be greeted by a google page that stated the version of the play store i was running was no longer supported & to update via the system app.

and as we all know Ltech is done with the revue so no more updates....

looks like we are all left in the cold :(

too bad to, such a shame that no one ever did much dev work with the revue....guess i have to start figureing out how to write apps now for the Yahoo platform, since that is what my Visio LED tv runs...
TheDrizzle
Android 1.0

Re: play no longer works!

Post by TheDrizzle »

I just noticed the same thing on mine. Glad I'm not the only one. Maybe some workaround will be developed to allow us access to the Play store again. But, it may be time to retire the Revue...
e.w.bohle
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by e.w.bohle »

Way back when Google changed names to "Play", I successfully loaded the updated "Play Store" apk from my android phone to my 1st gen Sony NSX GTV and it works fine. Have been running the two store apps in tandem back and forth updating apps with both for many months now. I do now also see that the "Google Play Store" (the original "Android Market" app updated to the "Play" moniker) no longer works with the message you describe.

My NSX is running version 3.2 and is rooted with the original gtvhacker sony software root, so my system firmware still dates back to January 26 2012. Root should not be needed to install the updated apk.

So, DO NOT believe the hype that you HAVE TO update your system firmware to get the new "Play Store"... all you have to do is get the updated "Play Store" apk from another android device and install it on your GTV.

It will not overwrite the original, it will be a separate new app install. The old one will be listed as "Google Play Store" and the new one as "Play Store" in your list of apps. The new one has the updated UI, allows you to rent music, movies, etc...
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

Logitech has already said there is another update on the way. It will upgrade the Play Store again.
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Post by Jarhead »

Beginning to think this only effects the boxes that did not receive the update to Play store 3.10.10. Just checked 3 boxes that all updated months ago and all 3 are still working fine.
I know a lot of Revues didn't update, maybe these are the ones showing this error now.