Help with Email App & Setup for GTV 32" Sony

Talk about apps goes here.
pizzaguy4hire
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Help with Email App & Setup for GTV 32" Sony

Post by pizzaguy4hire »

Hello...

I am trying to set up my Sony 32" NSX-GTV for an email app. I found one called "Aqua Mail" that I was able to download as an app to the TV through "normal" channels (ie, not "side-loading" which I don't know anything about that) but it's not taking my settings from the Gmail account that I specifically set up for it to use. That email address is: [email protected] and that is what I would like to be able to use.

It is not setting up with the IMAP/SMTP services through the app. I keep getting "network errors" and invalid authentication and the like while attempting to do so.

Is there a specific app that I need to use for sending & receiving email through the TV? Do I need to "side-load" some specific app? Or, do I need to just use the web access and go to the standard Gmail website, forsaking the app process all together?

Thanks,

Zach

PS - what is side-loading, and how is that accomplished?
killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Re: Help with Email App & Setup for GTV 32" Sony

Post by killer4110 »

pizzaguy4hire wrote:Hello...

I am trying to set up my Sony 32" NSX-GTV for an email app. I found one called "Aqua Mail" that I was able to download as an app to the TV through "normal" channels (ie, not "side-loading" which I don't know anything about that) but it's not taking my settings from the Gmail account that I specifically set up for it to use. That email address is: [email protected] and that is what I would like to be able to use.

It is not setting up with the IMAP/SMTP services through the app. I keep getting "network errors" and invalid authentication and the like while attempting to do so.

Is there a specific app that I need to use for sending & receiving email through the TV? Do I need to "side-load" some specific app? Or, do I need to just use the web access and go to the standard Gmail website, forsaking the app process all together?

Thanks,

Zach

PS - what is side-loading, and how is that accomplished?
I had Aqua Mail installed and working with no problems on my Revue, but you can also try side-loading K-9 Email.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... og+Walkers

Here are step-by-step instructions for side loading apps onto the GTV.
http://gtvfriends.com/side-load-apps-on ... google-tv/

Here are video instructions for side loading.
http://youtu.be/h7n4_gf6580

Let me know if it worked. :D
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
pizzaguy4hire
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Re: Help with Email App & Setup for GTV 32" Sony

Post by pizzaguy4hire »

Hello, Killer4110...

Thank you for the response! I am waiting right now for the cable guy to hook my wife's house up so we can finish the move-in together, finally. So, as soon as it's all taken care of in the infrastructure department, I'm going to get on that.

I noticed that there's a hack that allows you to do a lot more with the TVs - like watch Hutu content instead of getting an error - but if I can do that bit on my HDTV laptop, what more does it allow that it'd. Be worth the trouble? Just wondering.

Anyway, thanks again!

Zach