Replacing default icons especially the LiveTV one

Talk about apps goes here.
twospirits
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Replacing default icons especially the LiveTV one

Post by twospirits »

I have a Sony NSZ-GS7 and I love it. But with everything in life, there are ups and downs. One of the downs is that I can't seem to duplicate the LiveTV icon on other home launcher replacements. There are numerous apps that allow this and work well on my Android phone and tablets but for GTV, none are listed as compatible.

Besides icon replacement apps, I've been testing out other apps that I use on my phones that might work on Google TV. When one works that isn't listed as working in GTV, I email the developer letting them know that the app works on Google TV devices and to possibly change the compatibility for GTV devices in the play store.

Anyway back to my post, in terms of icon replacement, one such app is the xShortcut app by appschinyang. The app basically allows a users to quickly create different types of homescreen shortcuts. It is unique (unlike other Get Intent type apps) that it is the only one that I found to work with Google TV. The app actually allowed me to replicate the Live TV shortcut from the default Home launcher onto other launchers.

The only issues with the app is..
1-you can only side load the free version (and or paid version)
2-The free version does not save more than one shortcut (or keep a history of them) The paid version allows this.

I emailed the developer to ask to have the app be download off the play store onto our Google TV devices. And he was kind enough to respond and say that he would be willing to publish the app for GTV devices in the near future.
I now can use either Open Launcher for Google TV, launcher Pro or Go Launcher HD for Pad (my current launcher) and place a LiveTV shortcut to access LiveTV.

TS
killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Re: Replacing default icons especially the LiveTV one

Post by killer4110 »

If you side load an app and it works without any issues and you think the app would benefit other GTV users, the best thing to do when you email the developer is ask them to change one specific line of code in their manifest:

<uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen" android:required="false"/>

Once they change that code the app will show up in the Play Store even though it's not optimized for the GTV.
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
twospirits
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Sony NSZ-GS7 (v2 streamer)

Re: Replacing default icons especially the LiveTV one

Post by twospirits »

Thanks for the tip, I will notify the developer.

TS