Any reason not to load leaked Honeycomb?

Trying to further the development of the Android on the Revue? Talk about it hear and document it on the wiki: http://www.wiki.gtvhacker.com

Moderator: Revue Mod

Yeshwah
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Any reason not to load leaked Honeycomb?

Post by Yeshwah »

I bought the Revue about a month ago anticipating Honeycomb, but am tired of Logitech dragging their feet on the issue. Is there a difference between the leaked Honeycomb build (number 2 w/ Netflix), and the official build released on the Sony devices? From what I understand, you can restore recovery through ADB over Wifi, so when the official build drops (allegedly by the end of the year) I can update. So my question is, if you're comfortable with the process, is there any reason NOT to update?
MStrawder
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Any reason not to load leaked Honeycomb?

Post by MStrawder »

1) You cannot flash the Sony version on the Revue or vice versa. Totally different hardware and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even allow you to.
2) I've been running the leaked builds for several months now and the main thing you have to remember is that they aren't ready for prime time. Few very annoying bugs in there. Laggy IR commands being the main one. Wife turned the TV on this morning at about 3am and thanks to that little bug, it turned my receiver all the way up and woke everyone up. Yes we can enable user input in recovery again, but you won't receive the OTA update when it lands. You'l have to manually update to get back on track again, so you have to decide if you want to go through that extra step. I do enjoy the new user experience much more then the original firmware, but you gotta take the bugs that come with it. Also remember that there is always the risk of bricking you unit beyond redemption (currently).