Rooting Logitech Revue

Trying to further the development of the Android on the Revue? Talk about it hear and document it on the wiki: http://www.wiki.gtvhacker.com

Moderator: Revue Mod

resno
The Green One
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Rooting Logitech Revue

Post by resno »

General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
BiiRO
Android 1.0

Re: Rooting Logitech Revue

Post by BiiRO »

Has ANY progress been made in the last 7 months ? Seems everything is at a standstill since January ?
resno
The Green One
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by resno »

As of yet, there hasnt been much progress with creating a software root. Weve looked at other options, but nothing has jumped out yet.

We are still keeping out eyes out for anything though.
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
fftlambert
Android 1.0

Post by fftlambert »

Will the update to 3.1 make a software option easier?
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

Is there any way to know what state my Revue is in w.r.t. the UART?

I purchased a refurbished Revue, so I don't know what build is on it, nor do I know if the UART is still enabled. I don't especially want to open the device and do a bunch of soldering only to find out that it is too late for me to root. Supposedly this device has never been turned on, but I have no way to know that for sure.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

Chinpokomon wrote:Is there any way to know what state my Revue is in w.r.t. the UART?

I purchased a refurbished Revue, so I don't know what build is on it, nor do I know if the UART is still enabled. I don't especially want to open the device and do a bunch of soldering only to find out that it is too late for me to root. Supposedly this device has never been turned on, but I have no way to know that for sure.
Sadly no - the only way to know is to solder in a few wires, and take a peek.
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

OK, I should have my 3.3v TTL serial for fixing a bricked OLPC XO, and I should be all to use the same to connect to the UART. I guess I'll find out this week if it will work. Worst case, I guess I'll jump on the HC bandwagon.
bitbang3r
Android 1.0

Post by bitbang3r »

I'm pretty sure I rooted my Revue (when I reboot it, it has the "GTVHacker" logo), but the moment I define the network in setup, it starts downloading an update. Am I supposed to let it complete, or is there something else I have to do after rooting before I can use it for the first time?

For what it's worth, I got a ton of errors while the root script was running (lots of directories that couldn't be created or deleted, among other things, and I remember a "disk full" message at some point despite it being a 4-gig USB drive formatted with ext2), but in the end it said "Completed" (a scenario that seems to be undocumented -- the instructions only mention scenarios where it dies with an error, or ends with "completed"). Also, when I attempted to run adb and connect, it failed with a message that it couldn't connect on port 5555. I'm not sure whether I now have a halfway-rooted Revue that somehow managed to not be bricked, or whether these are all just things that the wiki's author didn't bother to mention.

While I'm at it, what IS the proper sequence for getting from "rooted via updatec99" to "running the leaked 3.1"? Do I have to install the intermediate update files (the most recent one listed in the wiki is now a broken link that says the file was deleted), or can I go straight to 3.1?

I'm dying right now... I want to play with my new toy, but I don't want to accidentally unroot my Revue and render it unrootable & useless forever, either :(
bitbang3r
Android 1.0

Post by bitbang3r »

Update... It appears that 3.1 is still unrooted, installing it will unroot a rooted Revue, and as always, it's a one-way trip with no future ability to re-root on the radar at this time.

Sigh. Limp along with rooted Froyo to keep future possibilities open, or eat the poisoned fruit and be jailed in unrooted hell for eternity. :(
jd567890
Android 1.0

Post by jd567890 »

bitbang3r wrote:Update... It appears that 3.1 is still unrooted, installing it will unroot a rooted Revue, and as always, it's a one-way trip with no future ability to re-root on the radar at this time.

Sigh. Limp along with rooted Froyo to keep future possibilities open, or eat the poisoned fruit and be jailed in unrooted hell for eternity. :(
I'm pretty sure we won't be waiting for eternity to get 3.1 rooted. But, if I had soldered my $300 box to root it I wouldn't be giving that up anytime soon - even as great as 3.1 is! Surely it can't be that hard for a dev to take the 3.1 update file and create a rooted version?