Rooting Logitech Revue

Trying to further the development of the Android on the Revue? Talk about it hear and document it on the wiki: http://www.wiki.gtvhacker.com

Moderator: Revue Mod

Itsjusttim
Android 1.0

Re: Rooting Logitech Revue

Post by Itsjusttim »

Chinpokomon wrote:
Chinpokomon wrote:Last night I installed the header pins on the Mother Board... that ground plane can sure suck out a lot of heat. That one pin took forever.
Turns out the refurbished Revue I got already had the UART turned off. I went ahead and fully updated to the latest firmware and played with the Revue last night... works really well with my setup at home, although I had read that there were incompatibilities with my STB and the Revue. I guess I'll be trying out the HC build next and look for a software root.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully you will find something that I'm not smart enough to see.
havikx
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by havikx »

I wonder if there is a back door thru the usb port. Maybe something other than a flash drive? Or something installed from flash drive?

Just thoughts. That's the only port that isn't on a phone so its the only thing I can really think of.
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
havikx
1.6 Donut

Post by havikx »

there has to be a way of mounting device to a computer. i think if we did that and just tried every root version available for a 3.1 tab, we might figure something out. or at least shake something loose.

i just tried every "one click root" app that i can think of. z4, ginger, universal. nothing. but if we are able to mount it, we won't have to rely on apk forms. we could try any other way of rooting any other device.

i'm willing to mess with it. trying to get a usb to usb cord to fit. all i has is mini's from the phones.

i'm also willing to post a bounty on xda.
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

havikx wrote:there has to be a way of mounting device to a computer. i think if we did that and just tried every root version available for a 3.1 tab, we might figure something out. or at least shake something loose.

i just tried every "one click root" app that i can think of. z4, ginger, universal. nothing. but if we are able to mount it, we won't have to rely on apk forms. we could try any other way of rooting any other device.

i'm willing to mess with it. trying to get a usb to usb cord to fit. all i has is mini's from the phones.

i'm also willing to post a bounty on xda.
The problem is still that the USB ports are HOST. You can attach a USB device, but you can't mount the flash memory on another host that way.

Just like if I made a frankenstien USB cable that was A to A, I couldn't plug one end into a computer and the other into a laptop and transfer files. There are some laptop cables that will do that, but they have a special U3 chip on them that tells the two computers they are connected to USB CD-ROM drives... it then has software that runs on BOTH computers that makes it look like there is a hard drive attached to each end of the cable, and the software and special chip in the cable, proxy the drive content so each computer can see the files of the other.

To do this with our Revues, you would have to run SOFTWARE on the Revue that mounts the flash memory on the USB cable, but it would have to have ROOT access already to see and modify files in /system. So we are still nowhere, even if the hardware and software COULD mount the flash memory on the Revue. USB is not an option in the way you are thinking you could use it.
krisv_82
Android 1.0

Post by krisv_82 »

If I root a Logitech Revue will I be able to watch dish online?

Currently I & my wife watch dish online on my computer. We have to install the "Sling plugin" to watch dish network channels on the browser.

Will it be possible to install the sling plugin after I root revue in order to watch dish network online?

Thanks
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

Chrome is not currently supported by Sling at this time, so watching from your DVR will not be possible. As for DishOnline content, I believe some people were able to do a Adobe Flash upgrade and get it working for hulu which would mean Dish Online should work, but I can't remember. Best to do a search about hulu since dish online seems to have a lot of hulu stuff on there as well :-P
Peter Holtan
Android 1.0

Post by Peter Holtan »

Hi, I just purchased a Revue and I love it, but I have concerns about it's future. It's too late for me to root it, I popped it's cherry and I feel guilty about exchanging it for a new one. I have a few questions and a few suggestions that I hope the community here can offer some feedback on.

1) I don't remember, when you boot up a brand new Revue, does it upgrade automatically or is it something you can prevent or opt out of?

2) Does the firmware version under settings/about clearly indicate whether the Revue was updated or not? I ask because if I do exchange my Revue, I want to make sure it hasn't been updated by a previous owner before I crack open the case.

3) Is the ability to re-enable the UART at all possible and it's just that hackers haven't figured it out yet, or is it totally impossible?

4) Is re-enabling the UART impossible for Logitech too? I mean, is it possible that a future update could theoretically re-enable the UART?

5) I have an EMP-20, a universal device programmer, I just need to find the proper adapters for the Samsung K9F8G08U0M. Assuming I have the proper equipment, can I re-enable the UART with a device programmer?

6) Or what if I purchase and install a blank unprogrammed Samsung K9F8G08U0M, would the UART be enabled in that device and could it then be rooted?

7) I'm guessing that each item in the Revue menu is an Android App customized for the Revue. If Logitech discontinues supporting the Revue, and if there is no future upgrade allowing the end user to manage their apps, does that mean that when a content provider changes how their system operates, that app for that provider will cease to function? Or are those apps designed to automatically update themselves?

I will appreciate your feedback. This will help me to decide whether I keep my Revue and wait for hackers to have more success or exchange it for a virgin.

And I have some excellent hack ideas for those geniuses out there:

1) Ability to power down. I guess this might need and additional circuit board capable of receiving the signal and interrupting the power supply.

2) The ability to access the USB devices connected the the Revue from other computers, as though they were Networked Attached Storage.

3) The ability to access the Revue via IP address, thus allowing you to access your receiver/dvr remotely. I have Dish Network, I don't know, but that may be a feature that I'm not aware already exists.

4) The ability to plug a bluetooth dongle into a USB port and be able to change the audio output device to a bluetooth headset.

5) Media players seem to play music streamed from your computer in a predetermined order. It would be awesome if a media play could randomly stream the content from a selected folder on your computer.

I had some other cool ideas, but I didn't write them down and I forgot them.

Thanks for your help.
Pete
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

Answered inline.
Peter Holtan wrote: 1) I don't remember, when you boot up a brand new Revue, does it upgrade automatically or is it something you can prevent or opt out of?
If it can connect to the internet, it will upgrade itself.
Peter Holtan wrote: 2) Does the firmware version under settings/about clearly indicate whether the Revue was updated or not? I ask because if I do exchange my Revue, I want to make sure it hasn't been updated by a previous owner before I crack open the case.
Unfortunately, you can't tell if it has the UART enabled before you boot it, and if you could get to the point of being able to read the settings, it is too late to go back.
Peter Holtan wrote: 3) Is the ability to re-enable the UART at all possible and it's just that hackers haven't figured it out yet, or is it totally impossible?
It is not currently possible for the hackers because it is turned off as part of the bootloading process. Once the bootloader has been updated, we are unable to access the UART again since there is no way to boot unsigned code.
Peter Holtan wrote: 4) Is re-enabling the UART impossible for Logitech too? I mean, is it possible that a future update could theoretically re-enable the UART?
It would be possible for Logitech to re-enable the UART, but that is not in their interest, and certainly not something content providers will tolerate.
Peter Holtan wrote: 5) I have an EMP-20, a universal device programmer, I just need to find the proper adapters for the Samsung K9F8G08U0M. Assuming I have the proper equipment, can I re-enable the UART with a device programmer?
In theory, you may be able to put the original, "UART compromised" firmware, back onto the flash memory. I don't know of anyone who has tried. I'm also not sure where other nonvolatile memory is kept. There may be unforeseen consequences of this process.
Peter Holtan wrote: 6) Or what if I purchase and install a blank unprogrammed Samsung K9F8G08U0M, would the UART be enabled in that device and could it then be rooted?
The Flash memory is independent of the UART. Assuming you could flash another firmware back to the flash memory, the UART should be enabled.
Peter Holtan wrote: 7) I'm guessing that each item in the Revue menu is an Android App customized for the Revue. If Logitech discontinues supporting the Revue, and if there is no future upgrade allowing the end user to manage their apps, does that mean that when a content provider changes how their system operates, that app for that provider will cease to function? Or are those apps designed to automatically update themselves?
Applications can be updated on the Market independent of Logitech. It would be up to the ISV to update their software, and there really is no financial incentive for them to do so.
Peter Holtan wrote:
Peter Holtan wrote: And I have some excellent hack ideas for those geniuses out there:

1) Ability to power down. I guess this might need and additional circuit board capable of receiving the signal and interrupting the power supply.
The Revue could power down, but it is not intended to do so. I believe this can be done already in software without rooting.
Peter Holtan wrote: 2) The ability to access the USB devices connected the the Revue from other computers, as though they were Networked Attached Storage.
Seems possible. Someone would have to write a NAS service.
Peter Holtan wrote: 3) The ability to access the Revue via IP address, thus allowing you to access your receiver/dvr remotely. I have Dish Network, I don't know, but that may be a feature that I'm not aware already exists.
This can already be found under Settings -> Network -> Status.
Peter Holtan wrote: 4) The ability to plug a bluetooth dongle into a USB port and be able to change the audio output device to a bluetooth headset.
Seems like this would involve a lot of custom work.
Peter Holtan wrote: 5) Media players seem to play music streamed from your computer in a predetermined order. It would be awesome if a media play could randomly stream the content from a selected folder on your computer.
That is not a Revue or Android specific issue. This is something that can be solved completely in software.
nikescar
Android 1.0

Post by nikescar »

What about HBOOT cracking? Once it is dumped it can be cracked and reflashed isn't it?
I saw other android devices have been cracked HBOOT processes.
Is there any chances for custom rom with HBOOT cracking?
rpadula
Android 1.0

Post by rpadula »

have you guys heard of 2init? on the motorola defy and nook tablet, it's a way to boot ClockworkMod and foreign kernels.