Home Media Indexing Problem

Having issues applying a release or having continuing weirdness? Place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

arnie_cunningham
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Home Media Indexing Problem

Post by arnie_cunningham »

Hello,

I received a Logitech Revue as a Christmas Gift. I set it up, it downloaded the latest Android OS, and i'm enjoying it. I have DISH, and it integrates well. Apps work fine.

The only problem (which is getting really frustrating for me since I can't figure it out), is that the Logitech Media Player refuses to index my home media that is on my Synology DS211j NAS. I've tried so many things, and it still won't work. Here is more information regarding my setup:

Setup:
The Logitech Revue is hardwired via Ethernet to a network switch that has my Synology attached to another port on the switch. I recently cleared EVERYTHING off of my NAS to start over and see if that will help. I have 2 hard drives in it - a 1TB and a 3TB. I created 1 JBOD volume to total almost 3.75TB of space. I copied over only a couple MKV files to test if it would allow for the indexing. I enabled the DLNA media server on the Synology too. I also get an error even if I connect the NAS directly to the Revue via Ethernet.

Error:
I open the Logitech Media Player app and go to "settings". I then click "media sources" and choose my synology which is called "Diskstation". When I do this I get the following error: "Indexing not completed --- The media source could not be indexed. Folders will show all items, but searches will not show any matching items." As it says, I can go to "folders" and find my media and play it fine. However, it does not index, so my files will not show in Google TV's search function, which is my primary desire. The odd thing is, all other media sources, when chosen, result it the screen saying "Indexing..." at the bottom, and not error shows. My other sources I have are my Windows 7 PC and a WD TV Live Hub (both index fine).

Help:
What could be my problem? I tried getting help from another forum, but no one seems to be able to help.

Here are a few other questions I have regarding my Synology, that may help to lead to a solution:
  • 1. Must enable "HTTPS connection", to protect HTTP connections with SSL/TLS connections?
    2. Should I get my network configuration automatically through DHCP?
    3. Should I enable tunneling (to envapsulate IPv6 packets within IPv4 packets)?
    4. Should I do anything with iSCSI?
    5. Should I enable Write Cache for the Hard Disks to improve I/O performance?
    6. Do I need to set up any sort of port forwarding?
    7. Should I enable "Windows File Service"?
    8. Must I ensure my home network domain/workgroup is consistent with my computers, and is there a way to configure this for the Revue as well? I don't see a way to select one on the Revue.
    9. When I enable the "Media Server" on the NAS, it creates the PHOTO, MUSIC, and VIDEO folders on the NAS for use in DLNA sharing. Here is the documentation: "The video folder contains videos you want to browse through DLNA/UPnP DMA. It will be created automatically when Media Server is enabled." Do I need to set up any specific "privileges" for these folders?
    10. Should I enable "Allow editing Windowns Access Control list"?
    11. Should I "enable file indexing" for each of these folders within my NAS? I did this then, and "indexed" the folders via my NAS interface, but I still get the same error with the Revue.
I'm running out of ideas here, so any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
mchimirev
Android 1.0

Re: Home Media Indexing Problem

Post by mchimirev »

I have the same problem with a simple USB drive (formatted FAT), as well as using MediaShare (simple UPnp application) on my mac. When I use LogiTec media server software, however, it indexes the results fine. What I really want is my USB drive to index.
arnie_cunningham
Android 1.0

Post by arnie_cunningham »

Ya, I have no issues with media servers on my PC. I just have an issue with my NAS. My NAS can be toggled on to be a DLNA media server (which I've done), but the Revue isn't indexing the media.
Tangram11
Android 1.0

Post by Tangram11 »

arnie_cunningham wrote:
Error:
I open the Logitech Media Player app and go to "settings". I then click "media sources" and choose my synology which is called "Diskstation". When I do this I get the following error: "Indexing not completed --- The media source could not be indexed. Folders will show all items, but searches will not show any matching items." As it says, I can go to "folders" and find my media and play it fine. However, it does not index, so my files will not show in Google TV's search function, which is my primary desire.
I feel your pain. My story is very similar. I have just received a Logitech Revue, shipped from Amazon to Australia.
I have a Synology DS1511+ ... so this feels like a GTV/Logitech issue with Synology.
I am running DSM v3.1 on the Diskstation.

The only thing I can think of is to upgrade to DSM v3.2 to see if that makes a difference, but I have a lot of forum reading to do to see how DSM3.1 to DSM3.2 upgrades have gone.

I have been doing much google searching and your report is the only one I can find, experiencing the same problem as I am.

The only workaround I can see is to install Plex client on the Revue AND Plex server on a separate PC. I really don't want to go down this path as the Plex Server software ground my spare (old) PC until the dust the last time I tried to run it.

I will monitor here and try some things and report back if I get an results.

Cheers,
-T.