Update without flash drive?

Having issues applying a release or having continuing weirdness? Place it here.

Moderator: Revue Mod

coggy9
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Update without flash drive?

Post by coggy9 »

Is there any way to update without having a flash drive? In recovery, all my devices will not mount(they are all FAT32) at all. They will either say "no file or directory found" or "invalid argument". Could I put the update in /tmp and issue a command via adb to load the zip when booted into recovery(Like using "reboot recovery update=/tmp/update.zip" instead of "reboot recovery")?
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Re: Update without flash drive?

Post by zenofex »

coggy9 wrote:Is there any way to update without having a flash drive? In recovery, all my devices will not mount(they are all FAT32) at all. They will either say "no file or directory found" or "invalid argument". Could I put the update in /tmp and issue a command via adb to load the zip when booted into recovery(Like using "reboot recovery update=/tmp/update.zip" instead of "reboot recovery")?
There really isn't a way to do that AFAIK. Regarding the usb drives that specifically say "no file or directory found": If your running windows you should make sure the option to "Hide extensions of known file types" is turned off, as its possible you are naming the file update.zip.zip (windows is showing you update.zip and hiding the following .zip).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10 ... -show.html

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
coggy9
Android 1.0

Post by coggy9 »

Well, I'm on Ubuntu, so that's not the problem. and it says can't find /sdcard. Not /sdcard/update.zip. I'm pretty sure that means its unable to mount. I'm trying to use my phone(Thunderbolt in recovery mode, USB storage enabled) and hard drive(WD My Passport 500GB), and the phone gives the not found error. Hard drive gives incorrect parameter.
Discovered
2.2 Froyo

Post by Discovered »

unless there are some extra drivers that could be missing?
LGVM670 - CM 9
IPhone 3GS - IOS 5.1.1
Revue - HC 3.2
Aspire 3000 - JoliOS
coggy9
Android 1.0

Post by coggy9 »

Well I found my flash drive and it works....but I'd still like to know why this happens. I'm sure other people have had the same problem before.....
Discovered
2.2 Froyo

Post by Discovered »

Someone else had an issue in which they needed to switch out there flash drive.
LGVM670 - CM 9
IPhone 3GS - IOS 5.1.1
Revue - HC 3.2
Aspire 3000 - JoliOS
MStrawder
Android 1.0

Post by MStrawder »

Could have been the particular flash drive. Several users have reported this. I had 100% success with formatting using Ubuntu. I booted it up after I had problems formatting the drive in Windows.
Discovered
2.2 Froyo

Post by Discovered »

Windows xp, not one issue with any update.
LGVM670 - CM 9
IPhone 3GS - IOS 5.1.1
Revue - HC 3.2
Aspire 3000 - JoliOS
Monkey2674
Android 1.0

Post by Monkey2674 »

I had the same problem formatting with ubuntu. I fixed it by going to disk utility and under partitioning it didnt say Master Boot Record. So i hit format drive and selected Scheme: Master Boot Record. Then when complete at the bottom hit create partition and select Fat. Then it worked for the upgrade.
Discovered
2.2 Froyo

Post by Discovered »

Monkey2674 wrote:I had the same problem formatting with ubuntu. I fixed it by going to disk utility and under partitioning it didnt say Master Boot Record. So i hit format drive and selected Scheme: Master Boot Record. Then when complete at the bottom hit create partition and select Fat. Then it worked for the upgrade.
some more useful information. MBR has to do with the usb update.
LGVM670 - CM 9
IPhone 3GS - IOS 5.1.1
Revue - HC 3.2
Aspire 3000 - JoliOS