Looking for 120hz GTV solution, currently have Revues

Looking to talk general Google TV, heres the place.
crypted
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Looking for 120hz GTV solution, currently have Revues

Post by crypted »

Currently, we have the ole Revue x4. Like it and use it constantly. In fact, we have four of them and all are heavily used.

We're upgrading a couple TV's to 120hz LED from old 60hz LCD and Plasma. I'm pretty sure the Revue is 60hz only. I'm curious if we have any options to keep GTV going strong with the better video promised by the hz increase...

I spoke with Vizio and they said that the Co-star will operate in whatever hz environment the TV operates in. Vizio's reasoning is that the system uses HDMI and that it will do whatever the TV is set to do over HDMI. This seems kind of odd to me. Any thoughts on that? If that were true, I would think the Revue would do 120hz, but Logitech says only 60hz.

So, I'm left with a couple outstanding questions:
  • Any definite confirmations on the Revue only working at 60hz?
    Any accuracy in the Co-Star supporting 60/120/(higher) based upon the actual TV itself?
Thanks for any input.
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake

Re: Looking for 120hz GTV solution, currently have Revues

Post by Jarhead »

You're talking about the refresh rate of a tv. regardless of the input you use (BTW, do you think your cable box or any other set top is gonna be 120hz) the tv will still refresh the image at 120hz. If the source isn't evenly divided by the refresh rate you get the 3:2 pulldown. Just like if your source isnt full hd, if the tv is set to 1080p it will upconvert the image to 1080p.

Just to give my opinion on these "smart TV's", if you have a home theater setup, the tv should just be a monitor, nothing more. No sound coming from it, just displays a picture. So, with a home theater, a smart tv is kinda stupid. Now you have to back feed the smart tv's sound into your a/v receiver, what I found is most tv's only output stereo sound even out the optical so it kills the HT experience. What these manufacturer's should be making is a "Smart receiver". Think about it, Google TV built into your heart of the HT, the reciever. This way, regardless of what input you are using (ie cable box on HDMI 1, Satellite on HDMI 2, BluRay on HDMI 3 etc) you still have access to the GTV. this would mean the GTV would have to control a lot more copmponents instead of just the "tv" input but it's definitely the way GTV will be heading.

Of course if you don't have a HT then the smart TV is brilliant!
crypted
Android 1.0

Re: Looking for 120hz GTV solution, currently have Revues

Post by crypted »

Jarhead wrote:You're talking about the refresh rate of a tv. regardless of the input you use (BTW, do you think your cable box or any other set top is gonna be 120hz) the tv will still refresh the image at 120hz. If the source isn't evenly divided by the refresh rate you get the 3:2 pulldown. Just like if your source isnt full hd, if the tv is set to 1080p it will upconvert the image to 1080p.

Just to give my opinion on these "smart TV's", if you have a home theater setup, the tv should just be a monitor, nothing more. No sound coming from it, just displays a picture. So, with a home theater, a smart tv is kinda stupid. Now you have to back feed the smart tv's sound into your a/v receiver, what I found is most tv's only output stereo sound even out the optical so it kills the HT experience. What these manufacturer's should be making is a "Smart receiver". Think about it, Google TV built into your heart of the HT, the reciever. This way, regardless of what input you are using (ie cable box on HDMI 1, Satellite on HDMI 2, BluRay on HDMI 3 etc) you still have access to the GTV. this would mean the GTV would have to control a lot more copmponents instead of just the "tv" input but it's definitely the way GTV will be heading.

Of course if you don't have a HT then the smart TV is brilliant!
I agree with you. I'm not out for a Smart TV which is why I stick with the GTV "buddy boxes" as ElGoog refers to them.

Our setup is this:
Dish HD DVR -> Google TV Revue (will replace if better refresh rate model is out there???) -> Onkyo receiver -> (soon-to-be) LG 47" 1080p LED 120hz.

We have a really old 720p plasma that sucks it big time. Ready to have this image upgrade.

My only area of concern will be GTV and the support of 120hz imagery. The Revue is old and won't get OS upgrades. Also, it definitely doesn't support 120hz.

The Co-Star, and others, are new. But, their documentation doesn't state whether they will support >60hz imagery. The support agent kind of confused me by the comment in the above post.