[TUTORIAL] How To Set Up Your Revue Running HC3.1 To Use ADB

Looking for help doing something. This is one of the best places to start.
mrandroid
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

[TUTORIAL] How To Set Up Your Revue Running HC3.1 To Use ADB

Post by mrandroid »

**This assumes that you already have the Android SDK/ADB setup on your computer** These instructions are chronological in the order they should be done.

****WARNING**** You do the following steps at your own risk, and I nor gtvhacker.com hold any liability for any damage that can/may be caused by doing so.

On your PC
01. Hold down the WINDOWS key and press the R key.
02. In the run box that popped up, type CMD then press the OK key.
03. In the terminal windows that opens up, type IPCONFIG and press the ENTER key.
04. Write down your PC's IP ADDRESS (it's called the IPv4 address, and usually starts with 192.168.).

On Your Revue
05. Press the HOME button.
06. Press the MENU button.
07. Navigate down to SYSTEM SETTINGS and select it.
08. Select NETWORK.
09. Navigate down to NETWORK INFORMATION.
10. Write down your Revue's IP ADDRESS (everything before the /).
11. Press the BACK button x2.
12. Navigate down to APPLICATIONS and select it.
13. Navigate down to DEVELOPMENT and select it.
14. Select REMOTE DEBUGGING to where it is CHECKED.
15. Navigate down to DEBUGGER IP ADDRESS and select it.
16. Type in your PC'S IP ADDRESS in the text field, then select SET
17. Navigate down to ALLOW MOCK LOCATIONS and select it to where it is CHECKED.
18. At this time you can navigate out of the Settings menu.

On Your PC
19. In the terminal window, type ADB CONNECT <YOUR_REVUE_IP_ADDRESS>:5555 then press the ENTER key.
(keep in mind that there are spaces between adb, connect, and the start of the ip address. Also, directly after your revue's ip address is a colon (:) then 5555, so an example would be 192.168.1.1:5555)
20. In the terminal window, type ADB SHELL then press the ENTER key.

You should now see a $ with a blinking cursor. You are now navigating your Logitech Revue via ADB!

Edit 01: ****WARNING**** Do not try to reboot into recovery via adb. I tried this, and although it rebooted the Revue, it would not load up (the first splash started flashing sporadically , and took a power pull restart while holding down the sync button on the back to get it back). I don't know if it's using a different recovery protocol or what.
Edit 02: Title edited to be more understandable with the purpose of this post.
Last edited by mrandroid on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
kentoe
Android 1.0

Re: How To Set Up Your Revue Running HC3.1 To Use ADB

Post by kentoe »

Thanks for this. All I was missing was the "debugger IP address". I kept typing in the revue's ip address but it never occurred to me to type in the "debugger" ip address...
joedeveloper
1.5 Cupcake

Post by joedeveloper »

kentoe wrote:Thanks for this. All I was missing was the "debugger IP address". I kept typing in the revue's ip address but it never occurred to me to type in the "debugger" ip address...
Same thing for me lol. Life just got a lot easier for pushing APK's to the device.

Curious to see if we can get temp root via pushing a version su from say the other HC 3.1 devices (Xoom) to /system/xbin and trying to perform the su command on the shell.

You'll also need to have the Superuser.apk installed, I installed it last night but fell asleep before copying over su and then running some commands to see if temp root can be achieved.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

joedeveloper wrote:
kentoe wrote:Thanks for this. All I was missing was the "debugger IP address". I kept typing in the revue's ip address but it never occurred to me to type in the "debugger" ip address...
Same thing for me lol. Life just got a lot easier for pushing APK's to the device.

Curious to see if we can get temp root via pushing a version su from say the other HC 3.1 devices (Xoom) to /system/xbin and trying to perform the su command on the shell.

You'll also need to have the Superuser.apk installed, I installed it last night but fell asleep before copying over su and then running some commands to see if temp root can be achieved.
Nope - system is RO, and there is a check in the kernel that prevents it (well, the block device that system is on) from being mounted RW. It's unfortunate, and of course - to change the kernel, there are signatures to be circumvented, etc.
joedeveloper
1.5 Cupcake

Post by joedeveloper »

cj_000 wrote:
joedeveloper wrote:

Nope - system is RO, and there is a check in the kernel that prevents it (well, the block device that system is on) from being mounted RW. It's unfortunate, and of course - to change the kernel, there are signatures to be circumvented, etc.
Bummer, looks like they really locked it down and didn't want any dev'ing around on it.
joedeveloper
1.5 Cupcake

Post by joedeveloper »

The stock kernel can't even be dumped right? due to it being RO.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

joedeveloper wrote:The stock kernel can't even be dumped right? due to it being RO.
Not yet - the kernel partition can't (yet) be read due to no permissions, and it's also encrypted in the update.
joedeveloper
1.5 Cupcake

Post by joedeveloper »

cj_000 wrote:
joedeveloper wrote:The stock kernel can't even be dumped right? due to it being RO.
Not yet - the kernel partition can't (yet) be read due to no permissions, and it's also encrypted in the update.
Yeah I noticed that this time, while trying to unsquash it, boot.img no longer unpacks, have to figure out what encryption is used now and crack it, but that's not gonna happen quickly.

Strange that google/logitech is closed off to letting people modify this device.
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

joedeveloper wrote:
cj_000 wrote:
Yeah I noticed that this time, while trying to unsquash it, boot.img no longer unpacks, have to figure out what encryption is used now and crack it, but that's not gonna happen quickly.

Strange that google/logitech is closed off to letting people modify this device.
Yeah - I agree, but its probably the content providers thinking you can rip content via HDMI. It just makes it worse, since the only real way to crack it is thru breaking the onboard SOC's security, which by doing so would break it across multiple platforms. If they just let us modify kernel etc, nobody would ever even try to replace the bootloader. What's sad, apart from the fact that the HW is not powerful enough for that, is that there are plenty of other ways of doing it, with hardware that runs $100-$300 or so.
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

Anyone got this working in Linux yet?
Mine doesn't seem to want to play ball...