Honeycomb 3.1

wompom76
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: NSZ-GT1 (Bluray Player)

Re: Honeycomb 3.1

Post by wompom76 »

I went out and bought the sony for 200 bucks at best buy the other day on impulse. I didn't research it or anything, but I just figured it was a better deal than any of the stand alone blu ray players that I was looking at. The only thing this thing lacks is 3D, and I read somewhere that sony was going to update that as well. Anyway, after getting it installed (much easier than many of the reviews I have read and watched), I played around with it. The Blu Ray is excellent and it is cool that I can use the internet, but I have to learn how to navigate it better because I am confused how to go forward and back between pages. (that is another post though). My question is how will Honeycomb change its overall functionality? I have never seen this honeycomb, but what is its possitives. If I don't own an Android phone, will the Honeycomb OS not make much difference for me as a user? Finally, will Honeycomb make it possible for me to use the PS3 eye camera with this unit. There are like 4 usb ports and the only use i can see for them is a keyboard, mouse, and external storage. Will this Honeycomb update allow me to play .mov files with this unit?

thanks
dlbark313
Android 1.0

Post by dlbark313 »

It's September 21 and we're still in a holding pattern with in regards to a real date instead of "End of Summer" Well college has been back for a month and elementary has been back for 3 weeks, the Droid Bionic has released thus Summer has ended. The new fall lineup on tv started this week. If that doesn't signify the end of summer for corporate America then I don't know the true definition of this B.S. phrase "End of Summer" means. Way too late to return either my Revue or the Sony NSZ-GT1.
jororosco
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by jororosco »

Is it really going to get an update to play 3d?
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: NSX-40GT1 (Internet TV)

Post by replaytv5000 »

OMFG!

Dateline: September 25, 2011 2:48AM
While watching reruns, my Sony Google TV informs me that there is an updated that needs to be performed!
Screw the reruns! Give me fricken Honeycomb! Click "Install Now"!

After a lengthy, maybe 5-10 minute update, system rebooted... Sony logo, same old Google TV logo -- not looking very optimistic... then BAM, into the OS.

Wait what?!? This looks EXACTLY the same... WTF WAS IN THAT UPDATE?

Check the about screen and it says something like 2.2 update 1... precursor to honeycomb perhaps?

Anyone know somethin'?

Thx
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

replaytv5000 wrote:OMFG!

Dateline: September 25, 2011 2:48AM
While watching reruns, my Sony Google TV informs me that there is an updated that needs to be performed!
Screw the reruns! Give me fricken Honeycomb! Click "Install Now"!

After a lengthy, maybe 5-10 minute update, system rebooted... Sony logo, same old Google TV logo -- not looking very optimistic... then BAM, into the OS.

Wait what?!? This looks EXACTLY the same... WTF WAS IN THAT UPDATE?

Check the about screen and it says something like 2.2 update 1... precursor to honeycomb perhaps?

Anyone know somethin'?

Thx
We think its an update to chrome, nothing more - hopefully 3.1 comes soon, as I've heard it looks nice on Sony boxes!
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

Yeah, I saw that on googletvforums as well... but guess what, chrome on this box still sucks (as a browser), and I can't wait to ditch it the minute we get market! So must have been a security update? Meh.

Things I hope HC brings:
right click ability /better external mouse support.
actual tabbed browsing
ability to add gapps, etc.
better app management
ROOT! I know, never gonna happen, but my hope is that once HC is realeased we will see an unprecedented hackability on these boxes! I know, but a guy can dream. :mrgreen:

How about your wishlist? Hmmmmm?
souryogurt
Android 1.0

Post by souryogurt »

hello all, i received OTA today here in Sacramento CA, HC 3.1 is nice.
was wishing for external 2TB HDD could be recognized but heck having HC 3.1 makes my honeysuckle ooze.
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

still no love here in phx.......
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

replaytv5000 wrote: ~~~
Things I hope HC brings:
right click ability /better external mouse support.
actual tabbed browsing
ability to add gapps, etc.
better app management
ROOT! I know, never gonna happen, but my hope is that once HC is realeased we will see an unprecedented hackability on these boxes! I know, but a guy can dream. :mrgreen:
1. no right click, but better overall support, like long clicking to bring up sub menus.
2. no tabs, but i did get The Boat Browser to install, unfortunately there is no flash support in Boat. Dolphin Tablet, Dolphin HD, and Firefox are all an FC nitemare. They did install, however.
3. Still no love for GApps in 3.1... not even in the email.apk dept. :( Earth would FC after install and numerous reboots.
4. Better app management indeed! Adding Market changes a lot! This allowed me to add a LAN file browser, and that allowed me to DL apps to the "SD" card/internal mem. Got a buncha diff ringtones now for alarms, notifications, etc. As well as restore bkups of other apps like Craigs notifica, etc. Currently I am using Launcher Pro as my home button app. Nice cuz I got the desktop set up like my Tablet and Phone. Heh. It's got 3 desktops to swipe through and full widget support. Beautiful Widgets works great and Pandora is a desktop widget as well!
5. You wanna hear somethin funny? I got SU to install on my Sony GTV!!! It doesn't do anything, but it's on there!! LOL It's cool to see it sitting in the app drawer tho, 1 day it will be reality.

In case you haven't guessed, HC goodness lives here! Apparently the end of Summer is upon us. ;) :roll:

One big let down for HC tho is NO TILDE support!! Some of my passwords use a ~ or 2... but not on HC GTV!! It's stenciled on the Sony Kybd as "Fn W", so I thought I would try it out on my GTV Remote for phone... Phone registered typing the ~, but no such character appeared on screen. Worked okay with froyo... :roll: :roll:
replaytv5000
1.5 Cupcake

Post by replaytv5000 »

Some coolness so far:

Installed GMail.apk, maps.apk, only some GApps zip file resources, misc other apps, like utilities for clearing cache, more browsers like FF 7 & 8 beta and Opera mini, Crackle app, etc.
Many FCs from the above. Gmail FC'd as soon as I installed it. Then the 2nd time launching, it opened! No population of data, so I clicked on the menu button in the upper right, BAM... FC! Hvn't had it open smoothly since. Maps opens, but no population of actual map data. Just once I got it to show a partial map. Not really any FCs however, just population of data issues. Missing helper apk perhaps? All browsers listed FC'd hardcore. Still no real way around hulu. If Boat supported frgn flash, we might hv a go of it! Crackle app, like many others are confused by the lack of screen rotation support. Evidenced by a message that pops up saying "This app cannot run in landscape mode. Click any button to exit." When clicking the "any" button 8-) Crackle just dies. Hvnt had it run smoothly yet. Hopefully these apps will get the GTV flag asap.

A real nice addition is a util called "Picture Off". I was hoping this is what it sounded like... sure enuff, it kills the screen! Got pandora or other muzic app running while sleeping??? Make a shortcut to this applet, kill that screen and get some zzzzzzz! heh

Short of the no tilde support, and some FCs here and there due to incompat apps, this is the home puter of the future. All in one design, mouse and kybd support, usb slots, printer support... buh-byah friggn windows!!! Well almost... :P