Texting through GTV

Moderator: Revue Mod

killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Texting through GTV

Post by killer4110 »

I just got a response from the Dev's over at MightyText,They are working on a browser version of MightyText, which means if you have it installed on your phone, your text messages will be pushed through to your Google TV.

You can check out MightyText in the Android Market,or check their FaceBook page.

http://mightytext.net
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
xsirxx
Android 1.0

Re: Texting through GTV

Post by xsirxx »

How are they going to do notifications through the browser?
killer4110
Contributor

Post by killer4110 »

xsirxx wrote:How are they going to do notifications through the browser?
For those of you who are not familiar with MightyText,here's the story:
MightyText is an App you install on your Android phone,then install the extension for your Chrome browser,so then if you are at your pc,and you recieve an SMS text message,it pops up on your pc screen,or if someone calls your phone,and its not near you, a box pops up letting you know the person is calling you,it syncs all your gmail contacts as soon as you install the extension.
You can send and recieve SMS text,see whos calling,but you cant call from the extension.
So when the Dev's said they are working on a browser version,i can only assume that it will work within a browser,without installing the extension,
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
xsirxx
Android 1.0

Post by xsirxx »

Ahh i see. Yea i am currently looking for one that has a client and server if you will, that will let you basically tether your gtv with your cell phone. It exists in some tethering apps, but i dont want to tether a data connection, only texts. I wonder how hard it would be to write a simple app that does that. What sdks run on gtv? Does it have to be built using the java dev kit? If so does that give you access to more internal parts like mms? If so a simple push server shouldnt be hard to write using local network discovery...

EDIT: spelling

--X
killer4110
Contributor

Post by killer4110 »

xsirxx wrote:Ahh i see. Yea i am currently looking for one that has a client and server if you will, that will let you basically tether your gtv with your cell phone. It exists in some tethering apps, but i dont want to tether a data connection, only texts. I wonder how hard it would be to write a simple app that does that. What sdks run on gtv? Does it have to be built using the java dev kit? If so does that give you access to more internal parts like mms? If so a simple push server shouldnt be hard to write using local network discovery...

EDIT: spelling

--X
I wish i knew what half of this stuff meant;

http://code.google.com/tv/android/
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
xsirxx
Android 1.0

Post by xsirxx »

Well from what im reading it sounds like they opened up C++ which is my favorite language. But ive followed the monodroid mailing list in beta for C#... i might take a look at that n see if i can get some time to write a quick text tetherer.. i also want that app for tablets... of course i dont want to reinvent the wheel, but i dont think there is a dedicated solution for it yet..

--X