Root vs Honeycomb?

Moderator: Revue Mod

swapped
Android 1.0

Root vs Honeycomb?

Post by swapped »

I know the difference between the two. I'm currently wondering if I should root the stock Revue that is still in its box (means waiting for my usb-ttl adapter to get here) or if i should start playing with it and possibly put 3.1 on it....

Is there any way to block updates in the mean time so it will stay un-updated while i try it out (besides not pluggin into network that is?)

Thanks!
joedeveloper
1.5 Cupcake

Re: Root vs Honeycomb?

Post by joedeveloper »

swapped wrote:I know the difference between the two. I'm currently wondering if I should root the stock Revue that is still in its box (means waiting for my usb-ttl adapter to get here) or if i should start playing with it and possibly put 3.1 on it....

Is there any way to block updates in the mean time so it will stay un-updated while i try it out (besides not pluggin into network that is?)

Thanks!
First thing it tries to do is update when you run the initial setup, so no, there is no way to block it other than rooting right away.
swapped
Android 1.0

Post by swapped »

Thanks!

Any input on rooting vs updating with the leak.

My understanding is that using the root method you can load a different flash version to watch hulu and all the show networks.
Can the same be accomplished with the 3.1 update?

Is it possible to root the 2.1 and somehow manually update to 3.1 while retaining root?

Thanks!
havikx
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by havikx »

swapped wrote:Thanks!

Any input on rooting vs updating with the leak.

My understanding is that using the root method you can load a different flash version to watch hulu and all the show networks.
Can the same be accomplished with the 3.1 update?

Is it possible to root the 2.1 and somehow manually update to 3.1 while retaining root?

Thanks!
Rebuild the 3.1 leak with proper root installed, zip it, and see if you can flash it.
Just don't hold me responsible.
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
swapped
Android 1.0

Post by swapped »

havikx wrote: Rebuild the 3.1 leak with proper root installed, zip it, and see if you can flash it.

If we could flash unsigned zips I might be trying to go down this road, but since we can't it would not work.
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

swapped wrote:
havikx wrote: Rebuild the 3.1 leak with proper root installed, zip it, and see if you can flash it.

If we could flash unsigned zips I might be trying to go down this road, but since we can't it would not work.
Isn't that what's happening when you flash the pre-rooted updates for 2.1 with busybox already installed. Those aren't signed updates, are they?
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

danger-rat wrote:
swapped wrote:

Isn't that what's happening when you flash the pre-rooted updates for 2.1 with busybox already installed. Those aren't signed updates, are they?
I don't think so... it looks like they use the UART to run a script that simply places the files in the correct locations. It isn't a true flash like how you would normally use recovery to do it. For that reason, you can get away with not having things signed.

In another update, Logitech modified the boot.img. This closes the UART hole. While we had been able to update files in the past, this is because the boot.img matched the Linux kernel for those system files. We're now at a point with the HC update where the kernel has changed and we can't simply place the files. We would need to have a boot.img that leaves the UART open and is signed, AND matches the kernel expected by the rest of the system.

The situation now, is that we can't even decipher the boot.img or system.img files for HC. If we could, it might be possible to modify the boot.img to keep the UART enabled and to place the system files, bypassing the signature checks. But since we haven't been able to do this yet, HC rooting is off the table... and likely it still doesn't give us a software root. Boxes that have had the UART turned off still won't be able to get root. At least with presently known exploits.
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

I understand that the UART is installing the zip, but the end result still has the same effect as flashing an unsigned update. So, as long as the UART is open you still have this option. The UART is still open on all the modified 2.1 files on this website.

The 3.1 boot.img closes the UART, so as long as you can avoid installing the latest boot.img you can keep the UART open, right? This is how the latest modified updates have kept root, by using an older boot.img in the modified updates.

The 3.1 boot and system images can't be deciphered, but I'm not sure you need the system image, anyway. The system image is available in an unpacked form in all the devices currently running 3.1, and system is read enable - which means you should be able to copy the entire system partition. Or am I missing something? You pretty much only need a modified system image to have root (pre-install the busybox and typically the su binaries, though I noticed the su binary appears to be missing from the modified updates).

This leaves the boot image, which has to match the kernel. I noted you said that the boot image can't be extracted, but you didn't mention the kernel. Has anyone tried rebuilding the kernel?

If the kernel cannot be rebuilt either, then you could potentially still install the 3.1 update with a modified system partition, via UART, and still retain the busybox and su binaries. You will lose UART by updating the boot.img, but will retain root access. With a bit more work, perhaps a custom recovery would be possible?? Even without a custom recovery, you still have the potential to modify various portions of the system (i.e install new updates and keep root).

Just a suggestion, and far outside my Kung Fu, but that's how I would approach it... :/
Chinpokomon
Android 1.0

Post by Chinpokomon »

danger-rat wrote:This leaves the boot image, which has to match the kernel. I noted you said that the boot image can't be extracted, but you didn't mention the kernel. Has anyone tried rebuilding the kernel?

If the kernel cannot be rebuilt either, then you could potentially still install the 3.1 update with a modified system partition, via UART, and still retain the busybox and su binaries. You will lose UART by updating the boot.img, but will retain root access. With a bit more work, perhaps a custom recovery would be possible?? Even without a custom recovery, you still have the potential to modify various portions of the system (i.e install new updates and keep root).
The boot image is validated, so we can't simply rebuild it. It would need to be rebuilt and signed with private keys we don't have.

Yes, it might be possible to do a one-time update, manually placing the boot and system files, if they can be extracted properly. Once the new boot image is in place, you're locked out to anything but Logitech updates. Aren't we still blocked from mounting the Flash memory as R/W, even with the UART loophole?