HC 3.1 On the Revue

Moderator: Revue Mod

camcdonald1
Android 1.0

Re: HC 3.1 On the Revue

Post by camcdonald1 »

resno wrote:At the moment, there are some considerations we must make before releasing it. Once we are certain this is release meets our stringent requirements, we will then consider releasing. For the time being, you can only salivate over the idea of it coming. :cry:
If you were asked by a very important person what your ETA was and you had to respond, how far away would you say you are from releasing the details?
1) Hours
2) 1-2 Days
3) 3-7 Days
4) Weeks (please no)
Ariq
Android 1.0

Post by Ariq »

You know of course that you are killing us ;) . Any problem short of a total brick is okay with me. Looking forward to some kind of demo video or even better the update file itself.
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

Not meaning any disrespect, and all kudos to your efforts, but I must say, this is a strange scenario...

Typically the Android community is all about sharing files, with the caveat that it is up to the end users judgment on whether to use the file. I can understand having stringent requirements when it's your own work, but all you are doing here is sharing (or rather, not sharing) someone else's work. No one is going to hold you accountable for posting something you found.

If you are genuinely concerned about the end user, why not post a list of known bugs and the consequences of these bugs?

Personally, as a mature adult, I'd like to take the rest of the decision making into my own hands? :roll:
dcplaya
Android 1.0

Post by dcplaya »

They may have issues with how the acquired the release guys. No one wants to release something that will get someone in trouble.
Ariq
Android 1.0

Post by Ariq »

dcplaya wrote:They may have issues with how the acquired the release guys. No one wants to release something that will get someone in trouble.
I reluctantly agree. Though I want it now I'm sure these guys aren't having any open source moral conundrums. I'm sure they have a good reason for not bringing it out yet, I doubt they are trying to insult out ability to think independently.
Navalynt
Android 1.0

Post by Navalynt »

I'm personally new to GoogleTV, but not to Android. I've worked with various CM dev teams on various handsets the past couple of years and I'm currently involved with the Motorola Atrix community.

All of the experiences I've had with Android thus far prompted me to go grab a couple of Revue boxes since the price dropped to $99.99 at my local Best Buy. Actually, I apologize to anyone else in Anchorage, AK looking for a Revue, I bought out their inventory ;)

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to seeing the HC 3.1 update since right now the Revue is useless to me in playing my library of MKV files encoded with H.264 video (combo of files between baseline and high profile) and AAC 5.1 audio. Using Mezzmo as my DLNA server I set the connected device (the Revue) to the Revue profile and I can now see the movies, but I get an error trying to play any of them.

From what I've been reading, before the last update came out for the Revue, those files *should* have been playable but something in the last update from Logitech broke a bunch of the codec support. Is this accurate?

For the Admins who have the HC 3.1 build right now, have you tested it's compatibility with different video containers/codecs yet or with any DLNA servers likes Mezzmo? If you have not, and would like some feedback before posting the file for public consumption, please shoot me an email. I would be more than happy to run HC 3.1 though it's paces and give you a short write-up to post here.
zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Post by zenofex »

I know everyone is really anxious to get their hands on this update but I can assure you that there are reasons we haven't released it. I understand a few peoples points about the android community as a whole. But I must mention that the same android community has also constantly ridiculed the GTV platform (at least in my opinion) and has mostly fallen out in the previous months. Our team has been working with the platform for almost a solid year now and after the all the work and effort we ask the community to wait a few days (News was released Thursday). This really shouldn't have been that hard of a request for everyone. We have not given an eta thus far but just keep waiting and I'm sure everyone will have what they are looking for soon. Below is a small list of things we've noticed about the update:

The Bad
-Sound problems while watching TV including sound turning off during channel changes and playing/pausing (Remedied by changing the channel or pressing the play/pause button a few times)
-NO NETFLIX!
-Some apps display content vertically
-No root so far (also this means that we are still stuck with content provider blocks for non rooted devices)
-Once you upgrade to this build there is currently no going back to 2.1
-Atom cpu is incompatible ith 99.9% of the stuff on the market
-GAPPS does not work, or at least we haven't been able to get it to.

The Good
-System seems to preform smoother
-New UI is clean and compliments features very well
-TV/Movie listings now display what look like DVD covers when available
-Live Wallpapers
-Market
-ADBD

When everyone does get there hands on this they need to remember that this is BETA, it is not intended to be widely used by the general consumer and has numerous bugs. If that is something you don't care about and would like to risk anyway, then by all means install the update (when its released). Hell, if you want to help the revue out as a whole go buy another one ( preferably from http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue ), at $99 its worth just the remote control/keyboard functionality. But please do not install the update and then complain about this or that not working until they release a final build.

-Zenofex
Last edited by zenofex on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
killer4110
Contributor
GTV Device Owned: Vizio Co-Star

Post by killer4110 »

Well, that sounds fair to me, i totally agree with you, everyone bashes the Revue, they wont even compare it anything else in conversations, it is always, the Roku,Boxee,or Apple TV, but when this update does come out, i bet everyone will be talking about it, and how good it is. But now that you have listed some of the Pros and Cons, i think i can wait alittle while longer,all i can ask is that you keep us updated so we know whats going on,and how you are dealing with the major bugs.....................

Thanks
Logitech Revue
Sony NSZ-GS7
Vizio Co-Star
Hisense Pulse
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

I've already ordered my second Revue, and since I still had the $25 rebate from the first one arriving late it only cost me $75. Can't complain at that price. :D

In all fairness, I would've bought one for every TV in the house months ago if the Market had been enabled. I think that has been the biggest problem with Google TV in general - the lack of Android Market on an Android device. I think a lot of people would've jumped on these if they had a working Market, and once the Market is enabled I think they will take off in a big way - looking forward to that day!! :D

As far as the update goes - I respect your integrity!
(doesn't mean I don't want the update, though - especially since these units are now so cheap to replace) :lol:
davpel
1.5 Cupcake

Post by davpel »

zenofex wrote:I know everyone is really anxious to get their hands on this update but I can assure you that there are reasons we haven't released it. I understand a few peoples points about the android community as a whole. But I must mention that the same android community has also constantly ridiculed the GTV platform (at least in my opinion) and has mostly fallen out in the previous months. Our team has been working with the platform for almost a solid year now and after the all the work and effort we ask the community to wait a few days (News was released Thursday). This really shouldn't have been that hard of a request for everyone. We have not given an eta thus far but just keep waiting and I'm sure everyone will have what they are looking for soon. Below is a small list of things we've noticed about the update:

The Bad
-Sound problems while watching TV including sound turning off during channel changes and playing/pausing (Remedied by changing the channel or pressing the play/pause button a few times)
-NO NETFLIX!
-Some apps display content vertically
-No root so far (also this means that we are still stuck with content provider blocks for non rooted devices)
-Once you upgrade to this build there is currently no going back to 2.1
-Atom cpu is incompatible ith 99.9% of the stuff on the market
-GAPPS does not work, or at least we haven't been able to get it to.

The Good
-System seems to preform smoother
-New UI is clean and compliments features very well
-TV/Movie listings now display what look like DVD covers when available
-Live Wallpapers
-Market
-ADBD

When everyone does get there hands on this they need to remember that this is BETA, it is not intended to be widely used by the general consumer and has numerous bugs. If that is something you don't care about and would like to risk anyway, then by all means install the update (when its released). Hell, if you want to help the revue out as a whole go buy another one ( preferably from http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue ), at $99 its worth just the remote control/keyboard functionality. But please do not install the update and then complain about this or that not working until they release a final build.

-Zenofex
As others have said, I respect your wishes on how and when to release HC. This is your puppy! That being said, please don't feel that because other devs didn't jump on board to help over the past year that there hasn't been close interest and support from those of us who are regular GTV users. I for one have been following (or trying to follow) your progress closely. I've checked the the gtvhacker website, blog, twitter feed just about every day for the past eight months and have offered to help as much as I am competent to do so (this means everything short of soldering!). You may have missed it elsewhere, but I've also offered to loan you my Sony box if it would help make progress there. So perhaps we weren't available to offer lots of assistance, many of use have been there with you in spirit at least!

As for the bugs in the current HC version, I'm certainly willing to live with them. Most seem like they could be resolved by creative people once root is achieved. The "Atom cpu is incompatible ith 99.9% of the stuff on the market" note is scary though. Not for your leak, but for the future of the Revue and Sony boxes. Google promised they would be supported following the HC upgrade, but if most apps won't work . . . bad news.

Eagerly looking forward to the release.

David