Best server that works with GTV HC 3.1

Moderator: Revue Mod

resno
The Green One
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Re: Best server that works with GTV HC 3.1

Post by resno »

fujii13 wrote:No offense but the Media Player app for the Revue is garbage and DLNA playback is really inconsistent. If any of you have used a front end that's specifically made for watching TV and movies you'd know what I'm saying. Since we can get apps now i'd really like to see something with box covers, descriptions, fanart etc. with support for seasons and specials and the like. Any chance of running an app like Plex/XBMC/Boxee over SMB (or Plex Media Server for Plex)?
No such app or feature exists... at least not yet. So, the best you can get is dlna...
General Person Of Interest
Want to give back? :: Bitcoins :: Hardware ::
aperry
Android 1.0

Post by aperry »

I'm waiting for my Revue to get here, but reading this forum regularly in the meantime.

Here's to hoping someone can get either Plex or XBMC ported to Android/Atom. I've been using the ATV with XBMC, and it works great once you get NFS configured. I'm really hoping something like this will be available for the Revue!! I think that would solve the DTS issue as well (?).
aperry
Android 1.0

Post by aperry »

Got my Revue today. The upgrade to Honeycomb went smoothly, and everything seems to be working pretty well. This is a cool little device and it's much simpler than I had expected. The configuration is very easy, and so far the remote control over my Comcast STB seems to be working flawlessly.

However, I really don't like the Logitech Media Player. My local network content seems to work pretty well when streamed through Twonky. But DLNA navigation of a large media collection is really ugly. And the lack of DTS may be a deal breaker. I'm not an audio snob, but I'm not about to convert every video file from DTS to DD. Also, I'm kind of shocked that the YouTube app is just the web page and not a more remote control friendly interface.

I really like having all of this working in combination with TV. It would be nice to ditch my WDTV Live and have it all controlled through one integrated interface. I'll be really excited if we can get a media player that's better organized and supports DTS. Samba and NFS would be awesome too.

Thanks to everyone involved in this!
mamoulian
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by mamoulian »

ps3mediaserver works if you add a special renderer config file for the Revue, see this ps3mediaserver forum thread:

http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... 3&start=10

The Logitech player does work for me, on most things except DTS files, but it is flaky - the folder list disappears and reappears, sometimes it'll just stop halfway through playing a file.
Hopefully this is one of the 'beta' problems they will have fixed in the full release.

You can get Plex for Android, not tried it though, I suspect the player won't work as it won't be expecting an Atom or the video hardware in the Revue.

There are other third-party DLNA browsers which might work - UPnPlay, BubbleUPnP, Skifta... but they all pass the file onto a video player, looks like we don't have any of these working yet.