3.1 Development

Moderator: Revue Mod

farnk
Android 1.0

3.1 Development

Post by farnk »

I've been working on an app for a while, which still isn't in the market that I'm trying to get to run on my revue.

It installs fine and the debugger starts with no f/c but all I get is a blue screen with a fancy honeycomb on right, my app's ui doesn't show up.

Does anyone have any ideas?
bitbang3r
Android 1.0

Re: 3.1 Development

Post by bitbang3r »

Try downloading CatLog from Android Market. It can capture logcat output and save it to whatever the Revue uses as its /sdcard equivalent (assuming, of course, that it HAS one...)

Launch CatLog, start capturing, launch your app, go into CatLog, and see whether something is throwing an Exception.
cdoty
Android 1.0

Post by cdoty »

farnk wrote:Does anyone have any ideas?
Are you targeting 3.1?

I had no problems with an app that targeted 1.6, except for needing to turn off automatic scaling of loaded bitmaps. I was able to debug through the app to figure that out.

I'm not using any of the UI stuff, just a canvas.
farnk
Android 1.0

Post by farnk »

It turns out that it was hitting an exception and was paused in the debugger. It's having a problem with the layout inflater, but I don't understand the crash. I'm going to try building and running one of the 3.1 samples to see if I can get it to work.
divergent
Android 1.0

Post by divergent »

bitbang3r wrote:Try downloading CatLog from Android Market. It can capture logcat output and save it to whatever the Revue uses as its /sdcard equivalent (assuming, of course, that it HAS one...)

Launch CatLog, start capturing, launch your app, go into CatLog, and see whether something is throwing an Exception.
You can get similar results with this command, at least on an android phone:

"adb -d logcat > path-to-your-local-file-name"

You will need a working ADB connection to the revue first of course :) Then you can save the output to a file locally
farnk
Android 1.0

Post by farnk »

I eventually figured it out. One of the libraries I had source for was using drawable-hdpi and drawable-hdpi-finger for some embedded pngs. Aparently either 3.1 or GTV doesn't like the variety that ends in 'finger'. I moved all of the files into the non-finger directories and deleted the finger directories, and everything worked great with no other code changes.

It took me some time looking through logcat and the debugger to figure things out. It would have been nice if it could have told me the file and resource ID that failed since it has that information, but unfortunately that's not how it works :(