Honeycomb + Software root = Possible Now?

Moderator: Revue Mod

joedeveloper
1.5 Cupcake

Re: Honeycomb + Software root = Possible Now?

Post by joedeveloper »

txyaloo wrote:
joedeveloper wrote:
doug piston wrote:Building a recovery from Koush's source is not a difficult task, getting said recovery on the device is the hurdle. The above method would yeild zero results. You cannot just drop im whatever you please into the build for a non-rooted device. Any modification will break the sig and thus a install aborted.
Yeah I hear you on that. I guess I was wondering too, instead of breaking the signature, you would just be replacing the recovery.img inside of the update.zip.

Open original in WinRAR and drop the modded recovery.img into the same window. No repackaging occurs so as to leave the same signature on the update.zip.

Same process when themeing so you don't have to resign the APK's. Just a thought.
It won't work. That's not how signatures are calculated or work. Modifying the recovery.img in any way invalidates/kills the signature.
Yeah that's what I wasn't quite understanding. If it was just the zip that was signed or the contents as well.
doug piston
Android 1.0

Post by doug piston »

2 posts above is correct. You even look at it wrong and it will break the signature.

Also to mention the apps you mentioned are for froyo builds, there are some new hacks that will work to gain temp root access on GB builds but I have not really looked into HoneyComb hacks at all. I will assume the people that work with Gtv and crew have so....
joedeveloper
1.5 Cupcake

Post by joedeveloper »

doug piston wrote:2 posts above is correct. You even look at it wrong and it will break the signature.

Also to mention the apps you mentioned are for froyo builds, there are some new hacks that will work to gain temp root access on GB builds but I have not really looked into HoneyComb hacks at all. I will assume the people that work with Gtv and crew have so....
Yeah, the only route to root HC 3.1 on any device right now is by flashing a custom boot and recovery image. At least from the threads I have read. The thing is it's super easy on the XOOM since it's motorola and you can take the lock off with a simple command in fastboot.

Only feasible way to get root on HC 3.1 for Revue is via custom boot with root built in. Issue is with the signature checking since the keys aren't available nor is it remotely possible that we could create a signature that would auth when flashing.

Unless there is another exploit out there, which there might be, but right now it looks pretty locked down.
doug piston
Android 1.0

Post by doug piston »

joedeveloper wrote:
doug piston wrote:2 posts above is correct. You even look at it wrong and it will break the signature.

Yeah, the only route to root HC 3.1 on any device right now is by flashing a custom boot and recovery image. At least from the threads I have read. The thing is it's super easy on the XOOM since it's motorola and you can take the lock off with a simple command in fastboot.

Only feasible way to get root on HC 3.1 for Revue is via custom boot with root built in. Issue is with the signature checking since the keys aren't available nor is it remotely possible that we could create a signature that would auth when flashing.

Unless there is another exploit out there, which there might be, but right now it looks pretty locked down.

There are two ways to do what you are saying, 1. unlocked bootloader(if it has one) 2. Custom recovery. Neither are possible without some type of root access. Not trying to be a negative Nancy but just want it to be clear.
joedeveloper
1.5 Cupcake

Post by joedeveloper »

doug piston wrote:
joedeveloper wrote:

There are two ways to do what you are saying, 1. unlocked bootloader(if it has one) 2. Custom recovery. Neither are possible without some type of root access. Not trying to be a negative Nancy but just want it to be clear.
Oh you're not being negative lol. It's more of a conversation I just wanted to get started. Obviously right now it's pretty much locked down to any ability to get root. Hopefully that will change at some point :).