Just received my Revue in the mail. To root or not to root?

Moderator: Revue Mod

wisperatme
Android 1.0

Just received my Revue in the mail. To root or not to root?

Post by wisperatme »

That is the question...

Is it still worth rooting to 2.1 now that the HC beta has leaked and progressing? I wanna use my new toy but don't want to void the possibility of rooting if it's still a more worthy solution... If that makes sense?
Itsjusttim
Android 1.0

Re: Just received my Revue in the mail. To root or not to ro

Post by Itsjusttim »

Many of us ($100 revue guys) have to consider this.. I would personally say don't root unless you are completely sure how to do so. As with many android phones, there are always new guys complaining about how they don't know what they did and don't know how to fix.

Just my humble opinion...
wisperatme
Android 1.0

Post by wisperatme »

Honestly, I dont know what I'm doing when it comes to rooting the Revue. But I do have a buddy with an Arduino and soldering/crcuitry knowledge who's willing to take the job on for me... Im just not sure if its the best route to go now with all the recent HC hubbub... Once rooted to 2.1, is it still fairly easy to navigate and use the Revue or do you have to be savvy enough to run tasks in a round about way? If I rooted to 2.1 now, would it open a way to root 3.1 later possibly? Sorry if these come across as stupid questions :-/
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

My new revue should be at home when I get there, tonight. I'll be checking the firmware version immediately, and pulling it apart this weekend, soldering iron in hand...
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

danger-rat wrote:My new revue should be at home when I get there, tonight. I'll be checking the firmware version immediately, and pulling it apart this weekend, soldering iron in hand...
Catch 22, to check the firmware version, you kind of need to update the box (so, don't update the box, just go for the solder!)
albertmartel
Android 1.0

Post by albertmartel »

wisperatme wrote:That is the question...

Is it still worth rooting to 2.1 now that the HC beta has leaked and progressing? I wanna use my new toy but don't want to void the possibility of rooting if it's still a more worthy solution... If that makes sense?
why are folk calling this root.. when it more of an update than root.. root is when a modify to kernel is done then a patch get add to make the device do something it not suppose to do.. but there no mod going on here other than an a non-returnable update to the OS..the device was design to run android application when it was designed .. the issue is as it alway been what application make sense to install and how to make it so you don't have to setup a whole new support model for it and do you have enough device out there to support model needed if has to be diff...
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

albertmartel wrote:
wisperatme wrote:That is the question...

why are folk calling this root.. when it more of an update than root.. root is when a modify to kernel is done then a patch get add to make the device do something it not suppose to do.. but there no mod going on here other than an a non-returnable update to the OS..the device was design to run android application when it was designed .. the issue is as it alway been what application make sense to install and how to make it so you don't have to setup a whole new support model for it and do you have enough device out there to support model needed if has to be diff...
No, I'm talking about the 2.1 root, which will give you root access to the device (which, can only be done on a virgin box). Not to be confused with the 3.1 honeycomb update. Two different things going on, can make it a bit confusing!
Pinesal
Android 1.0

Post by Pinesal »

I say don't root right now. I believe the 3.1 beta leak will eventually lead to a softroot.

What can you do with root that you can't do with the 3.1 update? besides watch netflix.
danger-rat
Contributor

Post by danger-rat »

I was looking at it the other way - what does 3.1 have that root doesn't?
Also, if I root 2.1 I can still flash the 3.1 update later, but if I flash the 3.1 update, I may not be able to root later...

This is my second device though, so I can use it to just play with...
grayman4hire
Android 1.0

Post by grayman4hire »

Pinesal wrote:I say don't root right now. I believe the 3.1 beta leak will eventually lead to a softroot.

What can you do with root that you can't do with the 3.1 update? besides watch netflix.
Correct me if I am wrong, but rooting 2.1 will eventually allow you to install a rooted version of 3.1, correct?

The biggest reason to root the Revue (on any version) would be to modify the flash player so that Hulu and other sites can't block you.