Just received my Revue in the mail. To root or not to root?

Moderator: Revue Mod

Pinesal
Android 1.0

Re: Just received my Revue in the mail. To root or not to ro

Post by Pinesal »

grayman4hire wrote:
Pinesal wrote:I say don't root right now. I believe the 3.1 beta leak will eventually lead to a softroot.

What can you do with root that you can't do with the 3.1 update? besides watch netflix.
Correct me if I am wrong, but rooting 2.1 will eventually allow you to install a rooted version of 3.1, correct?

The biggest reason to root the Revue (on any version) would be to modify the flash player so that Hulu and other sites can't block you.

Now that we can sideload app, we should be able to install a modded flash apk without needed root.
Itsjusttim
Android 1.0

Post by Itsjusttim »

I will donate to the Guy who can get a flashplayer apk we can sideload to watch hulu.
grayman4hire
Android 1.0

Post by grayman4hire »

Pinesal wrote: Now that we can sideload app, we should be able to install a modded flash apk without needed root.
Please excuse my ignorance. I'm new to the Android world.

Has any other Android devices (phones/tablets) been sideloaded with a modify flash player to allow Hulu, ABC.COM, Etc? What are the limitation of sideloading?
dC9
Android 1.0

Post by dC9 »

Sorry to revive an old posting, but I've been wondering about this too. At current prices ($99 and under), I'm more willing to risk bricking a new Revue with a blown hardware mod. otoh, I imagine hacker interest will migrate to other devices, so my fantasy of running Debian or XBMC on a modded Revue will remain just that. :D

My main interest in rooting -- alternative OS fantasies aside -- is in access to online streaming sources that block Android devices (Hulu, the U.S. networks, etc.). A sideloaded modded Flash Player app does make sense as an alternative to rooting... indeed, googling "Android Hulu flash player" revealed a host of hits, including these

http://www.androidsim.net/2011/07/using ... -play.html
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos-ta ... -2-mobile/

but I suspect that apps that target ARM processors such as Tegra have little chance of working on an Atom platform like the Revue. Sigh.

I guess I need to do a lot more research here about the benefits of rooting and think this through.
havikx
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by havikx »

dC9 wrote:Sorry to revive an old posting, but I've been wondering about this too. At current prices ($99 and under), I'm more willing to risk bricking a new Revue with a blown hardware mod. otoh, I imagine hacker interest will migrate to other devices, so my fantasy of running Debian or XBMC on a modded Revue will remain just that. :D

My main interest in rooting -- alternative OS fantasies aside -- is in access to online streaming sources that block Android devices (Hulu, the U.S. networks, etc.). A sideloaded modded Flash Player app does make sense as an alternative to rooting... indeed, googling "Android Hulu flash player" revealed a host of hits, including these

http://www.androidsim.net/2011/07/using ... -play.html
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos-ta ... -2-mobile/

but I suspect that apps that target ARM processors such as Tegra have little chance of working on an Atom platform like the Revue. Sigh.

I guess I need to do a lot more research here about the benefits of rooting and think this through.
Tha and I don't think there is a flash apk on the device. Isn't it built into chrome? We would have been able to up our version if there was. Sideloading the newest apk does nothing.
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
Jarhead
1.5 Cupcake
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by Jarhead »

QuyenBraye wrote:I'll be checking the firmware version immediately, and pulling it apart this weekend, soldering iron in hand...
Did you even look at the date of this thread?