Updating to future USB updates from HC "User-Debug" leak

Moderator: Revue Mod

zenofex
2.1 Eclair

Re: Updating to future USB updates from HC "User-Debug" leak

Post by zenofex »

gottahavit wrote:I guess I didn't make my question clear enough.

Is there any reason to flash this NOW? as opposed to waiting to see if the OTA updates anyway? Then if it does not update over OTA couldn't we then flash this and flash the update manually?
gottahavit, nope. There is no reason to flash this currently, this is more needed when the user is looking to update from User-Debug. It offers no current benefit to any of the other builds. Its was also meant to give assurance to those who haven't upgraded to User-Debug as they were afraid of not being able to upgrade from it, to other updates as they arrive. In my opinion everyone who isn't on a hardware root and doesn't mind voiding their warranty should probably now be on UserDebug (best non-hardware root available at the moment).

Thanks,
Zenofex
Bitcoin donations can be sent to:
15mb6ER9gbujUXJABBd146W34FwWX2F1Lx
havikx
1.6 Donut
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by havikx »

Can we do this thru a terminal app or rooot explorer? I assume not because you'd need to be rooted to flash from withing the android system as opposed to abd root.
HTC one s - cm10 jellybean unofficial
T-mobile g1 - cm6
T-Mobile g2- andromadus ics beta
T-Mobile hd2- cm9 by tytung
HP touchpad- CM9 alpha 2
Logitech revue- OTA downgrade 3.1
Member xda forums
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

gottahavit wrote:I guess I didn't make my question clear enough.

Is there any reason to flash this NOW? as opposed to waiting to see if the OTA updates anyway? Then if it does not update over OTA couldn't we then flash this and flash the update manually?
You can do that, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Right now there isn't a big need to have it since there aren't any newer updates that we're aware of right now. But for those who like recovery capability it will be there. :)

Edit:

It might help if I look at the second page, I would've seen this answered. LOL
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

Thanks, that was what i was thinking, as yes as I put in my first post, because you guys have this I am thinking I will now go ahead and upgrade. The only reservation I have is the reports from some that a power failure causes a brick.
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

It will cause issues, but it only took me maybe 10 seconds after I uploaded it to the tmp directory. As long you don't have a power/signal issue during that or a power issue during the reflash which was 10 seconds then you won't have any issues. I'm very leery about doing much with my revue, but as long as you have a good connection between the revue and the pc, and don't have power issues, you'll be good. :)
gottahavit
1.6 Donut

Post by gottahavit »

no i was referring to the reports of people getting brinked during a powerloss AFTER updating to the debug leak.
gdeeble
1.5 Cupcake

Post by gdeeble »

That was on both versions if I remember right though.
netomx
Android 1.0

Post by netomx »

heyyyyyyyyyyyy I discovered this some days agoooooooooo
hitokiri
Android 1.0

Post by hitokiri »

so the process is:

update to 3.1
then update to user debug
then update to this

and I will then be able to update to the official release once it comes out and is posted, thus making my revue "stock" and current once again?
cj_000
1.6 Donut

Post by cj_000 »

You should be able to- yes. However, of note, with user - you lose root, and any extra permissions it grants you.

Furthermore, since the original recovery still exists, just update to the this recovery before you are going to update to user - as it may revert the recovery on you.