Revue in Canada

Moderator: Revue Mod

fusionknight
Android 1.0

Revue in Canada

Post by fusionknight »

Hi guys,

I'm looking to pick up a Logitech Revue now that they've dropped to $99. First of all, does anyone know of an online retailer that'll ship a Revue north off the border? Second, what kind of functionality will I be missing by using a Revue in Canada? I'm not interested in using the Revue for watching live TV (I cut the cord months ago), but more for the harmony remote capabilities to use with my Android phone, plus watching youtube and browsing the web along with the ability to watch movies stored on my computer. I remember reading somewhere that Netflix won't work on a Revue in Canada. Is that true?

Thanks!
FK
CheshireCCat
Android 1.0

Re: Revue in Canada

Post by CheshireCCat »

I'm curious as to whether it will work in other countries myself. Specifically I want to know if it will work in France. Also knowing if it will work in Sweden would be nice. I'm heading to France in a few months and I'd love to be able to use my GTV on my TV there. Problem is it's my escape so we don't have internet at the apartment. I'm only going to get internet if the GTV works there. If so, I will get one for my place in France and might get one for my girl in Sweden if they don't block the IPs. What would be a good way to get around that? maybe set up a router to use a proxy in the US?

Ideas folks, lets start testing. Who is leaving the US soon? Take it with you and try it out.
fusionknight
Android 1.0

Post by fusionknight »

I'm going down to the US in a couple of weeks so if I can't find a retailer that'll ship to Canada by then, I'll just pick one up while I'm there. I'll try it out in Canada and let you know how it works.
davynavy
Android 1.0

Post by davynavy »

Well, I have a couple of revues, and the IP address from Canada hobbles most apps, unfortunately. Virtually all of the services are location sensitive, which probably has to do with media distribution agreements, and media companies sensitivities to other media companies in foreign countries profitability.
Someday the revue will be officially in Canada, and Rogers and Bell will make agreements with whatever app provider, and you will see working apps, albeit the apps content will sync with whatever the Canadian conglomerates wish us to see. Cèst la vie, mon bonhomme.
CheshireCCat
Android 1.0

Post by CheshireCCat »

@davynavy Do you have a router between your revue and cable modem? If so, does your router support proxy? Might be worth a try to get all of the functionality to work.
jeffreyroberts
Android 1.0

Post by jeffreyroberts »

I am in Toronto and have been using the Revue with the http://www.unblock-us.com service. Everything works perfectly as if you were in the US.
spam4u
Android 1.0

Post by spam4u »

Does rooting and installing the breakvue hack open up canadian users to US content?

Or does the hack just bypass the device checking?
amm42
Android 1.0
GTV Device Owned: Logitech Revue

Post by amm42 »

Netflix application update in last week or so opened it to use in canada.

Now I use youtube, chrome, Netflix, control of my dvr and gtvbox player on my revue. Very worth the C-note now.